Thread: Food safe wood?

Food safe wood?

I appologize if this is a "dumb" question, but I cannot seem to find an answer despite using my best Google-Fu.

I am making a salad bowl as a wedding gift. I want to be sure that the wood I use is food safe and won't be likely to cause any problems for the user.

I have two` nice large blanks. One is red flame box elder. The other is ambrosia maple. I'd finish with Walnut oil.

I am under the impression that the figure in these woods is from a fungus due to invasion of an insect. I have read that spalted wood shouldn't be used for a salad bowl. What about these?

If anyone has any specific knowledge, I would appreciate hearing what the general consensus is.

One other thing... if these are ok to use, what would be a good way to seal any bug holes for salad bowl use?

Thanks very much!

2. Foos safe woods.......white or red oak, maple, walnut, and most others you can think of. Put a good finish on and let it cure before giving as a gift, like Behlen's salad bowl finish or Mahoney's or Doctor's Woodshop Walnut Oil.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Both of your blanks will make nice salad bowls. The red in the box elder will eventually fade to brown and the ambrosia maple will have the bug holes that need to be filled to prevent the salad dressing from running through. I use the black CA glue to fill these bug holes. I paint some of the finish around the holes before I fill them so it doesn't "stain" the adjacent wood.

Normally people worry more about the finish reacting with the food rather than with the wood. According to Bob Flexner every finish is food safe as long as it is completely cured. I use Minwax Antique Oil (MAO) on most of my turnings and it holds up very well. Once the wood and finish have dried all the bacteria and other things in the wood will be sealed and won't be a health issue.

Good luck and keep turning.

Cheers,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Gilbert View Post
    Both of your blanks will make nice salad bowls. The red in the box elder will eventually fade to brown and the ambrosia maple will have the bug holes that need to be filled to prevent the salad dressing from running through. I use the black CA glue to fill these bug holes. I paint some of the finish around the holes before I fill them so it doesn't "stain" the adjacent wood.

Normally people worry more about the finish reacting with the food rather than with the wood. According to Bob Flexner every finish is food safe as long as it is completely cured. I use Minwax Antique Oil (MAO) on most of my turnings and it holds up very well. Once the wood and finish have dried all the bacteria and other things in the wood will be sealed and won't be a health issue.

Good luck and keep turning.

Cheers,
    David
    Thank you David...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Foos safe woods.......white or red oak, maple, walnut, and most others you can think of. Put a good finish on and let it cure before giving as a gift, like Behlen's salad bowl finish or Mahoney's or Doctor's Woodshop Walnut Oil.
    Thank you Roger.