Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
It is difficult to respond to this without a bit more information. Do you have a #6, #7 or #8 sized plane? My #6 gets used more than my #5-1/2. Perhaps if it needed to be carried around in a tool box the #5-1/2 would be taken instead of a #6.

My suggestion would be to acquire something different than what is already in your kit.

If you are going for a smoother a #4-1/2 would be more in line with the purpose.

In reality, any plane can be used for smoothing, some are more adept at the job.

Since "what is most prevalent from the local sawyer" is oak and walnut my guess is you are not near enough to come by and give the different planes a test drive.

If you do not already have a #3 or #4, my suggestion would be to get one of those for your final smoothing needs. A #4-1/2 may be more in line if you do a lot of large panels or wide boards. Depending on the job at hand my #3 and #4 usually see more use than my #4-1/2. Often, especially later in the day, my #3 gets used more than my #4.

It was hard for me to decide, so when they were found on rust hunts, at least one of each size was acquired. It isn't necessary, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

jtk

jtk
I have a #3 that needs attention #4, #5, #6, #7. The first planes I bought were the #3 and #5 from the auction site. They were cheap and I didn't really know what to look for so those are the weakest performers. I really enjoy the #6 and use it more than the #7 unless I'm dealing with long boards. I also have a LN no 62, but I never have connected with the bevel up design. I like the lateral adjustment of the bevel down planes.

The more I read and think on it, your comment about the #6 seeing more use than the 5 1/2 seems to make sense to me.

I'm in Oklahoma City, so it would be quite a trip to test drive the planes

The 4 1/2 is starting to sound better and better or just getting a really nice #5.