Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: not sure I care for the forum split...

not sure I care for the forum split...

Just an observation on my part but it seems that since the engraving forums split, active participation is down substantially. Could be everyone's on vacation...

Since I work 15-17 hours a day 7 days a week, this forum is my respite several times a day. And lately everythings too quiet... like now, the 'general' forum has had not a single new topic or addition since I posted up at 1:42am this morning, 22 hours ago. The last anything in the hardware section was in the 'Glowforge' thread about an hour ago, before that a post from Bert about 3 hours ago, before that was nearly 28 hours ago yesterday morning...

Not sure what's up exactly, but there's not much action, and I miss it...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Personally, I liked when it was a single forum. I had (and still do) my bookmark for this specific forum, but I never think to, or have time to, go check the other one. Like you, I like to pop on here a few times a day to stay up to date on the goings-on. I still check on here. I just don't get over to the hardware/software forum.
    4 - Q1 converted New Hermes C2000's
    Signature 8080 Plus
    Universal 50w X2-600
    Universal 60w X-660
    Epilog 60w Fusion 40
    50w 5070 China Special

Blog Entries
    It's ok, just have to back up one page and go to other one. Bit more work. Maybe a benefit, I can't see it either. And, I'M HERE!
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I vote for the single forum
    TROTEC Laser, Roland SP300,SAWGRASS SG1000 Sublimation Printer, Q1 Mod New Hermes Vanguard 3400 Engraver, Daige Laminator, Next Wave Shark HD510 CNC

+1 single forum

It was split because of complaints from seasoned users. A large amount of tech support questions were flooding the main forum. On any given day, 75% or more was tech support questions. With that level of questions every day on the same subject matter, it was discouraging people who have been here for years from participating.

The decision was made to split it into a tech support and general discussion area to try and get more posting about actual engraving, rather than posting about broken machines.

All you need to do is back up one level and create a new bookmark. Problem solved
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Just an observation on my part but it seems that since the engraving forums split, active participation is down substantially. Could be everyone's on vacation...

Since I work 15-17 hours a day 7 days a week, this forum is my respite several times a day. And lately everythings too quiet... like now, the 'general' forum has had not a single new topic or addition since I posted up at 1:42am this morning, 22 hours ago. The last anything in the hardware section was in the 'Glowforge' thread about an hour ago, before that a post from Bert about 3 hours ago, before that was nearly 28 hours ago yesterday morning...

Not sure what's up exactly, but there's not much action, and I miss it...
    I think that the lack of posting is coincidental. I have not posted because I simply have been too busy on projects, rearranging the shop, shopping for equipment, customer emails and other stuff.

A nice feature for forum software would be a virtual concept. The idea being, a member could select multiple sub forums and combine them into one listing that only they could see.

But your right, it is a hassle to remember to go into the other forum.

-John
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas

I don't mind the 2 forums in general, no big deal, I just made the one my homepage, and when the browser loads I just add a tab and pop up the second forum. I frequent a boat forum where there's separate venues for 'general boating', 'boating lifestyle', 'boat trailers', 'maintenance', 'engine repairs', 'prop issues', and about a half dozen more 'off topic' sections. I read 'em all!

What I'm worried about is if this change has put off OTHER users. The past 3 days has been cricket city. And yes it may be coincidental, and like I mentioned above, this is the time of year everyone goes on vacation which could be part of the lag. Weekends are usually pretty slow but the past 3 week DAYS have been near dead quiet, not normal...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

What's the URL of the new forum? I can't find it.

Just go to Forum on the top bar and scroll down to Engraving Hardware/Software

or

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdis...e-and-Software
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

+1 single forum
    Jeanette Brewer
    Engraving Concepts

Thanks.........

I didn't even know there was a split. I was wondering where that Glowforge thread went.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

I think two forums are ok for any new thread but when you reply to old ones and want to check them later I find it very difficult to find them.
    The only thing that saves it is going through user posted messages on a user account page.
    GCC Spirit GX Pro 100W(synrad)
    Laserlife Ezlaser LCW 300W(Yongli DLT-300)

Lets give the dual forums some time to see if they are more productive as people get used to the format.

In the meantime try this link and save it in your browser favorites, it will search both engraver forums for new posts.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.p...w&include=8,69

Thanks for the link, Keith. I like that.

I know it's easy to simply bookmark the second forum, or go up a level and check the other one. Overall, I'm sure it's a positive change as well. I still prefer a single forum approach, but I can see the benefit of splitting. I've just replaced my engravers forum bookmark with the search link provided by Keith so I'm happy.
    4 - Q1 converted New Hermes C2000's
    Signature 8080 Plus
    Universal 50w X2-600
    Universal 60w X-660
    Epilog 60w Fusion 40
    50w 5070 China Special