Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Table saws.. hp vs rip capacity

Even though it's listed as over 500lb? If so that will be awesome because I am dreading trying to get a trailer down into this guy's driveway and get it up and unloaded

Brandon

Congrats on your new saw. That saw is better than the initial list you made and should serve you well for decades as long as it is taken care of and not abused.

500lbs. is not a lot of weight for two full grown men,and if you do as Charles suggested, you should be fine. Bring tools and definitely do as Charles stated, take it apart.
    I would probably rent a furniture dolly, and loading ramps, but that's me. Charles' method will work.
    I moved an 850lb. commercial washer I bought on Craigslist last fall with my wife. Into, and out of, a GMC Sierra 1500. You'll be fine.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I will have to measure my tailgate heightht I drive a Silverado 1500 that is lifted 2 and 1/2 inches

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hanley View Post
    I will have to measure my tailgate heightht I drive a Silverado 1500 that is lifted 2 and 1/2 inches
    No problem. Take 2 short 4x4s. Rock one side up and slide the 4x4. Rock the other side up and put the other 4x4 under it. It ii now sitting 3-1/2" higher.

Way Back-In-The-Day, I bought a Uni-saw and was worried about moving it safely. Went to the local rental shop and rented a pick up with a lift. Dealer's fork lift put it on the truck, then backed it into the garage shop and a friend and I moved it onto the lift and placed it about 6" from where I wanted it. Have no idea what rental fee for such a pick up would be today, but it sure made the job easier and safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Way Back-In-The-Day, I bought a Uni-saw and was worried about moving it safely. Went to the local rental shop and rented a pick up with a lift. Dealer's fork lift put it on the truck, then backed it into the garage shop and a friend and I moved it onto the lift and placed it about 6" from where I wanted it. Have no idea what rental fee for such a pick up would be today, but it sure made the job easier and safer.
    I'm with you. When I had to pick up large stationary tools, I rented a truck with a lift gate. Made it so much easier to get the tools into and out of the truck. Safer, too, both for the tool and for me.

Did cost me close to $100, however (if I remember correctly).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Home Depot, at least here, rents trucks with Tommy gates. $100.00 sounds about right.
    Great suggestion!
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I got it home. All seems well but blade is toast and riving knife is missing. Seller is going to look for it but thinks he might have thrown it away with the Box I'm really hoping he finds it because to order it from Grizzly is almost 40 bucks.

Everything seems to be in good shape but needs completely taken apart cleaned and set up again. Cabinet head a few inches of sawdust and it and it is cake on the motor kind of looks like there wasn't really dust control used most of the time.

Besides the normal set up I also need to take the whole Mobile base apart the way it is set up now with the current combination of casters that swivel and ones that stay pointing One Direction it can only be pushed sideways and the leveling feet are all on one side. I'm hoping I can get most of it squared away on my next day off and be ready to rock once the blade and new knife gets here

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    500lbs. is not a lot of weight for two full grown men,and if you do as Charles suggested, you should be fine. Bring tools and definitely do as Charles stated, take it apart.
    I would probably rent a furniture dolly, and loading ramps, but that's me. Charles' method will work.
    I moved an 850lb. commercial washer I bought on Craigslist last fall with my wife. Into, and out of, a GMC Sierra 1500. You'll be fine.
    Cabinet saws disassemble into many pieces of a manageable size. A set of ramps and a hand truck will easily let you manage a 10" cabinet saw after you take the top and wings off and take the motor out.

I have a 3 hp 10" saw with a 52" rails. In retrospect I would have gotten a 12/14" saw and a ~30" rails. 3 hp is plenty for a 10" saw with the correct blade, but sometimes the 3" depth of cut from a 10" saw isn't quite enough. I tried to rip a piece of plywood in half once, and it was so difficult to handle that I don't think I have ever had the fence set beyond about 30" since. I use a circular saw and a straightedge to break down sheet goods to just oversize and the cabinet saw to get them to final size.

ready to rock once the blade
    The blade...ha ha ha!
    Best get ready to really start spending money.

I just blew $72.00 on a feather board of all things, for crying out loud. The saw part is cheap compared to all the stuff you end up buying to hang on the thing.

Anyhow, nice score on the saw. The 690 & 691 are two of the most popular saws the members here use, so, there's no shortage of help if you need a question answered....

Now, about that router
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Therneau View Post
    Don't ignore used. A good quality cabinet saw will be as useful at 20 years of age as it was when new. There will be several on a local craigslist: many junk but often 1 -3 gems.
    That was my thought while reading this thread. Cabinets saws not used in production environments where they run 40 hours a week can last a very long time. About the only things that wear are bearings on the arbor and motor. Both are fairly easy to replace. My biggest concern with buying used would be cracked castings. A cracked trunnion or something like that could make a bargain no longer a bargain. I personally would have second - and third thoughts about buying new Delta machines. Delta is no longer the Delta of 20 or 40 years ago, it's now owned by a Taiwanese company and parts for 'classic' Delta machines are not available from Delta. Having said that there are enough Unisaws around that there that used Unisaw parts are readily available via 3rd parties.

Can anyone recommend a link or video 2 set this thing up right? I've searched Google and YouTube but the only thing I am finding is how to level the table top.

Also if I were to want to switch to the short rail setup of the g0690 later on is there a kit or a list of the exact parts needed to go back to the 30 inch Rip version rather than 50 inch? I don't really want to cut anything but if I don't end up using much of the rip capacity in the near future I want to go to the shorter version this thing takes up a ton of space and is hard to move

The list of parts for both the G0690 and G0691 are in back of the one manual Grizzly publishes that included both saws. You would need a new front and rear rail, and a new table board (part numbers P0690604, P0690611, and P0690614) to switch from 50" rails to 30" ones.

While trying to set things up today I noticed that the fixed casters on the shop Fox mobile base have a flat spot Warn into them. Can the shop Fox Model super heavy duty mobile base also be used with this saw if we just trim the tubing to make it fit? Apparently everybody has problems with the rubber wheels and this model has the steel wheels d2058a

Yes, I put that base on my Shop Fox W1820 (aka Grizzly G0691.) You have to cut about 3 inches off of the rails running left to right along the front and back of the cabinet and it will work. You will also need the "long rip fence" kit to put wheels under the legs on the far end of the saw table.