Right now I'm at a job I got out of college working as an operator at a titanium factory. It's a decent job, pays better then my major, and people that work there awhile make pretty good money, but I'm looking for something better still. I'm hoping to continue doing something blue collar.

My friends Dad is best friends with someone from the carpentry union, I think he said their top recruiter, and he said all I need is to give him my resume and I'll get in as a tier 1 carpenter. I'm not sure which union, but I'm in the Philadelphia area. I was curious about whether becoming a union carpenter is a good thing or not, my friends dad made it sound pretty good but he's never been one himself. I've read forums online where people were saying there were a lot of layoffs and union carpenters don't make much more money then non union.

I guess I could probably interview with the union and find out exactly what their career opportunities are, and ask about layoffs, but I was just curious from someone with first hand experience. BTW, I've done a lot of carpentry work, but never had any formal training in carpentry past high school or done any major work in the trade.