Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Came home with some lovely old tools the other day...

Came home with some lovely old tools the other day...

Against my better judgement, I responded to a local classified and fell right into the deep end again.
    The gentleman was selling a lifetimes collection of tools acquired from a friend who is terminally ill. He had about 15 boxes full of tools, all carefully wrapped in paper, all in great shape. I sifted through them to get only what stood out to me, (ignoring the full sets of iron bench planes etc., as I have more than I could ever use). Here are a few things I came home with, I think you folks will appreciate most of them:

IMG_7476.jpg
    Hollows and rounds, ranging from size 7 to 15 (and a size 3 hollow) from various makers, here paired or unpaired based on what I found.
    IMG_7418.jpg
    Some lovely firmer and paring chisels from W. Marples & Sons, with one from Spear and Jackson. Lovely boxwood handles. The one amazing chisel here is the square bolstered mortise chisel on the left - its made by Samuel Newbould. That, and the shape would suggest it is from the late 18th century - over 200 years old! It is just about 1/2" away from the last of the laminated useful steel, but otherwise in great shape, with an interesting user made handle. Some huge, very coarse rasps in background too.
    IMG_7417.jpgIMG_7430.jpg
    Stanley 82, and 80 scrapers, and a couple drawknives, one with folding handles. A beautiful wedge arm fillister plane in the background, with a boxwood profile. The only mark it has is a cursive 'Stewart'. Missing a slitter I believe. The fence seems to have some rotation on the rods, is this to allow easier adjustment or should I be tightening the screws at the bottom?
    IMG_7424.jpgIMG_7434.jpg
    Rabone 1190 boxwood rule with level and angle markings (though I don't think they are too accurate) and a Rabone & Sons combination square.
    Last edited by Hasin Haroon; 08-07-2017 at 3:18 PM.

Continues....

IMG_7427.jpg
    A BEAUTIFUL Goodell Pratt breast drill, in great shape.
    IMG_7452.jpg
    The biggest compass I have ever seen (6 inch rule for scale).
    IMG_7416.jpgIMG_7420.jpgIMG_7421.jpgIMG_7459.jpgIMG_7460.jpg
    Some wonderful backsaws in the cleanest shape I've ever seen - look at those etches! Also a number of makers I never heard of before, like Jenney Semple, and Thomas Turner, alongside the 'regular' Disston D8s and Spear and Jackson.

IMG_7480.jpgIMG_7439.jpgIMG_7438.jpg
    And the absolute crown jewel, a Langdon Acme no 74A miter box in perfect shape along with a 26" Disston backsaw. Trying to figure out how to attache a wooden bed to this without having to drill into the base...

That is a scary amount of good stuff, I don't know how you were able to bass up the iron planes. I actually have the 1190 that I bought new 40+ years ago.
    Rick

5. Oh my! Looks like you had a great little trip.

I would be...in a lot of trouble if I found collections like that available to often

It was tough Rick, but I only went there with $300 in my wallet, and told the seller as much. So we figured out a deal that we were both comfortable with. He just really wanted to clear out the space the boxes took up, and I came home with a wonderful deal for some great tools.

Hasin, this is one of the most impressive collections of tools I have ever seen from a rust hunting escapade, and I have been getting pretty lucky myself in recent months. That fellow really cared about his tools. Thanks for sharing.

The wedge-arm plow plane looks awesome with the brass details. I got ahold of one a couple months ago myself and it also has a bit of looseness in the arm/fence connection. I took the screws out, cleaned the whole thing up, and reinstalled the screws with some wax. Even after tightening them as much as I am comfortable with there is some play. I imagine it is just the result of 120+ years of humidity changes, and I don't think it is safe to try cranking down too much on those screws.

My wife would kick me out of the house if this was a regular occurence Daniel!

Thanks Matthew. It is unusual to find so many high quality items in one place. I wish I could afford to offer him a bit more and come home with some more moulding planes, he had a pretty large collection.
    I figured as much about the fillister plane. Luckily the plane still functions perfectly when fence is wedged in place.
    Last edited by Hasin Haroon; 08-07-2017 at 3:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasin Haroon View Post
    Trying to figure out how to attache a wooden bed to this without having to drill into the base...
    It appears there are five screws holding each red, metal deck to the frame. Have a look ...

74A 011.jpg

Ah of course Joe. For some reason I never considered removing the metal bed first...I assumed after all these years the integrity of the frame would be somewhat dependent on the metal bed.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Hasin Haroon View Post
    My wife would kick me out of the house if this was a regular occurence Daniel!
    My wife has been making eyes at me when I come home with $2 chisels from the flea market...I cannot imagine what she'd do if I regularly did something like this

On the plus side she was out of the country for 6 weeks so I managed to slip a lot of chisels home where her watchful eye wasn't.

I did have a hit like this a while back, a retiring shop teacher was moving out of state and selling his whole shop. I picked up a dozen or so EA Berg chisels in various states of disrepair and a few other things. Most of my flea market pickups lately have been various other EA Berg chisels...I have this hare-brained notion I'm going to restore\turn them into a full set of bench and skew chisels with nice matching handles and the like.

Nice find Hasin. One question. Where is the one $400 tool?
    Jim

Hahaha James, in this case, I came home with many tools, still under $400. Not bad eh?

Blog Entries
    Drooling on my keyboard.

When my Newbould mortise chisel was purchased this information was supplied by the seller:

Samuel Newbould is listed as an "edgetool maker" on Sheffield Moor in the Directory of Sheffield for 1787.
    Nice find,

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)