Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Moraivan Work Bench Base is Finished

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Really nice Ken, can't wait to see this with the bench top.
    Brian,

Ask and you will receive:

SlabAttachedBack170808dscf1938.jpg

SlabAttachedFront170808dscf1943.jpg

I set the Slab a few minutes ago. I had to give it a go once the slab was installed so I clamped a makeshift stop to the slab, grabbed a hunk of Sapele scrap and the #5 Jack. Not bad, in fact damn good. Bench was rock solid until I started testing to see when it would slide. I did make it slide a little but with zero racking and I would never take a shaven as thick even with the scrub plane. Weight does make a difference, you could push with a Jeep and the English/French bench wouldn't move but it also takes a derrick and a PTO to lift that sucker. It would be pretty hard to carry it in the motorhome:-).

More clean up to go (BTW have I ever told you how much I dislike working with construction grade DF), make a tool tray for the off side, and install the vise once the screw shows up. The fat lady is warming up backstage.

I started the build July 17th, less than a month ago. Not too bad for an older than dirt guy, working in the desert during the Summer, with a bad back and a full time job. That's one of the reasons I've never understood folks taking months or even years to build a work bench. That's my rant for the day, the heat is getting to me and it is time for whisky and chasing MsBubba around the pool.

ken

PS. I forgot to add, the slap is set on four 5/8" dowels, the dowels were placed by "blind pegging".

Nice slab Ken and looks like the bench will be a keeper. I like it but I will admit to some mild skepticism regarding the whole "throw it into the motorhome to use on trips" thing. But, I fully admit it is entirely your own business and I hope it serves you, you MsBubba and the motorhome well.
    David

Great stuff, Ken.

It's taking me months to make my bench because I suck at woodworking. Well, that and other things.
    Mostly though it's the sucking at woodworking.

I'm treating it as an education. Learning how to use my planes, use my saws, sharpen my tools....ive made several practice mortise and tenon attempts on scrap before touching my bench components.

I really like this bench design though. Been following with great interest.

Hi Ken,

Say, it is looking pretty good and coming together well!

Are you thinking about putting a tail vise on it?

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    It's taking me months to make my bench because I suck at woodworking. Well, that and other things.
    Mostly though it's the sucking at woodworking.

I'm treating it as an education. Learning how to use my planes, use my saws, sharpen my tools....ive made several practice mortise and tenon attempts on scrap before touching my bench components.

I really like this bench design though. Been following with great interest.
    Nathan,

Work benches are a tool, they do not need to be pretty to work, In fact too pretty distracts because it makes you spend time protecting the bench vs. working on it. My work bench mantra has always been: Build it strong, build it cheep, build it fast, and then build furniture. Build with simple joints and if they are gapy who cares as long as they are strong. Too many folks try to make their first work bench perfect and their last bench. It is a fools errand because until you have worked on a bench you have no way of knowing if it will work for the way you work. Off my box but if I may....Just build it.

Thanks and good luck on your bench build,

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Hi Ken,

Say, it is looking pretty good and coming together well!

Are you thinking about putting a tail vise on it?

Stew
    Stew,

Thanks.

Nope, I seldom have a need for one. I added a QR to the tail position of my main bench several months ago (mostly because I had a QR vise that needed someplace to live and the tail position was better than under an over crowded cabinet) and I don't think it has been used as a tail vise. I do use it as an overflow vise when the main vise is being used for something else.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Nathan,

Work benches are a tool, they do not need to be pretty to work, In fact too pretty distracts because it makes you spend time protecting the bench vs. working on it. My work bench mantra has always been: Build it strong, build it cheep, build it fast, and then build furniture. Build with simple joints and if they are gapy who cares as long as they are strong. Too many folks try to make their first work bench perfect and their last bench. It is a fools errand because until you have worked on a bench you have no way of knowing if it will work for the way you work. Off my box but if I may....Just build it.

Thanks and good luck on your bench build,

ken
    You may, indeed. I've come to that realization myself, although the perfectionist in me is a persistent bugger.
    I'm not aiming for pretty...not even Home Depot's finest SPF will allow that.
    It's a lot of factors, but it's a hobby and I'm soaking up information as I'm not pressed for time.

I do appreciate the kick in the pants though.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Nice slab Ken and looks like the bench will be a keeper. I like it but I will admit to some mild skepticism regarding the whole "throw it into the motorhome to use on trips" thing. But, I fully admit it is entirely your own business and I hope it serves you, you MsBubba and the motorhome well.
    David,

For me the trip is the joy, seeing what is over the next hill or around the next curve, been that way all my life. MsBubba endures the trip for the destination. The work bench may help bridge that difference. It should give me something to do while MsBubba and Sweet Maggie Dog go off on their local adventures.

ken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Brian,

Ask and you will receive:

SlabAttachedBack170808dscf1938.jpg

SlabAttachedFront170808dscf1943.jpg

I set the Slab a few minutes ago. I had to give it a go once the slab was installed so I clamped a makeshift stop to the slab, grabbed a hunk of Sapele scrap and the #5 Jack. Not bad, in fact damn good. Bench was rock solid until I started testing to see when it would slide. I did make it slide a little but with zero racking and I would never take a shaven as thick even with the scrub plane. Weight does make a difference, you could push with a Jeep and the English/French bench wouldn't move but it also takes a derrick and a PTO to lift that sucker. It would be pretty hard to carry it in the motorhome:-).

More clean up to go (BTW have I ever told you how much I dislike working with construction grade DF), make a tool tray for the off side, and install the vise once the screw shows up. The fat lady is warming up backstage.

I started the build July 17th, less than a month ago. Not too bad for an older than dirt guy, working in the desert during the Summer, with a bad back and a full time job. That's one of the reasons I've never understood folks taking months or even years to build a work bench. That's my rant for the day, the heat is getting to me and it is time for whisky and chasing MsBubba around the pool.

ken

PS. I forgot to add, the slap is set on four 5/8" dowels, the dowels were placed by "blind pegging".
    Awesome, I've heard wonderful things about the Moravian bench with one of my local club members building one. He also has a bench building problem.

Wish I could spare the time for a workbench as it is frankly past due for me to move onto to something else. I keep waiting around hoping to luck into something awesome for the top slab and going from there.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I am with you on seeing what is over the next hill or around the next curve. Now that I am retired, I frequently travel to camp and hike in the various national forests and national parks in the mountains and deserts of the southwest. I do not miss the workbench when I am on these trips, but that is just me and I am glad you are able to combine two things that bring a smile to your face.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    I am with you on seeing what is over the next hill or around the next curve. Now that I am retired, I frequently travel to camp and hike in the various national forests and national parks in the mountains and deserts of the southwest. I do not miss the workbench when I am on these trips, but that is just me and I am glad you are able to combine two things that bring a smile to your face.
    David,

I can't let MsBubba see your post, she would have me pulling out the AmEx and trading in the motorhomein a heart beat. BTW, about as neat a pull behind as I've seen but I don't believe there is room for a work bench in it.

Congrats,

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Awesome, I've heard wonderful things about the Moravian bench with one of my local club members building one. He also has a bench building problem.

Wish I could spare the time for a workbench as it is frankly past due for me to move onto to something else. I keep waiting around hoping to luck into something awesome for the top slab and going from there.
    Brian,

It's good to be able to indulge my sickness. Problem is all my friends that wanted a bench have one and there is no room in the shop for another with out throwing out a perfectly good bench. That's the bad news, the good is my last bench is close to perfect for my work flow and if I ever built another primary bench I do not believe I would change anything about it.

I will build another Moravian bench but with the base out of good hardwood. I expect MsBubba will inherit this one for her studio and it will live outside. Which is one of the reasons I plan on painting the base.

ken

Blog Entries
    If you get the itch, I'll happily take delivery of a Roubo

Ah, that's a nice idea for the softwood one. I feel you're pain in working with box store material, I've done it a time or two. The best so far I've experienced is green (literally wet) "cedar". It chops cleanly because it is wet, but of course then you have to dry it. I did that recently for my shoji frame (not the shoji or tracks, but the heavy framing), having accounted for the wood movement I was expecting. It does take a serious bit of planning to work around green material, but it can be an advantage as well at times. It works with great ease, I chopped the entire frame out in one half day by hand.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

You are gonna love that bench Ken. It came out fantastic. Thanks for the post. Michael.