Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acrylic for Sub Base for Router

George you could pick up a piece of lexan from Mcmaster Carr just around the corner from you

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Mike do you mean a pan head screw? A pin head screw is a security screw that requires as special driver.
    Well, that's embarrassing!

Yes, a pan head screw. I never realized it was two words.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    George you could pick up a piece of lexan from Mcmaster Carr just around the corner from you
    I never knew McMaster Carr was right there in Aurora. Thanks Jerome.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Try to find a copy of Bill Hylton's book "Router Magic." He shows how to make several bases and jigs for router. It came out in 1996, so will most likely be hard to find. Wife bought me a copy at American Woodworker show in Fort Washington PA. What a trip. Son worked for airline, so air fare was free, and school system picked up tab for admission, car rental, tolls, meals and lodging.

You never knew McMaster was there? You've been shown the light George!

There's also Profesisonal Plastics in Twinsburg who I've used before.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    You never knew McMaster was there? You've been shown the light George!

There's also Profesisonal Plastics in Twinsburg who I've used before.
    Yes I have Matt. I have heard of McMaster Carr but did not know one was just 5 minutes away.
    George

"Hey! Has anyone seen George lately?"

"No. We used to see him around here all the time. Now he never comes in."

"I heard someone say his car has been seen in the parking lot down at McMaster-Carr. I guess he's found someone new."

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Yes I have Matt. I have heard of McMaster Carr but did not know one was just 5 minutes away.
    I never said that you didn't know about MMC.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    I did. The DW611 is a small router and that base is 6" in diameter and the router is only about 4 1/2" in diameter. I think 6" is too big.
    George

I have a 611 and have found that I prefer just wrapping my hand around the fixed base and using it that way. The plunge base already has handles like it's bigger brothers. I suggested the Rockler base because I thought you wanted a slightly larger fixed base with handles. With handles, makes makes itr a bigger and more stable base. I've made tear drop shaped bases with one handle off toward the narrow end and they work well, but I haven't seen one made small enough for the 611 fixed base. A little over a year ago I bought a CRB7 multi-purpose base. Since then I have used it with most of my routers that have guide rod holes. The 611 plunge base works well with it, but the fixed base 611 has no holes for it. The CRB7 has many uses, and it is also larger, but is so much more versatile. It functions as an offset base with handle, and there's even a drop down leg to help you do edges without tipping, a wide range circle cutter, an edge trimmer, A fine adjust feature, and now they have an adjustable dual fence base for doing mortises, for hinges, locks, etc. It may not be a good fit for your present need, but it has been very handy to have for me.

Charley