Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
You can engrave with a Dremel too, probably make more easily readable letters too, fill them in with black or something. Or maybe a good time to get a woodburner!

I have not forgotten about sending a box of spare tools - just haven't taken the time to pack up a box - I plead overbooking! Not quite done with the refencing, now I'm in the middle of preparing for a club demo on the 15th, so right after that, I promise! I think I have some that might be useful at the Vet's Garage. You may end up sharpening them for some people but I suspect you do that now!

Years ago when I bought my first lathe it was to turn one thing, for my son in architecture school. Not knowing any better, I went to Home Depot and bought what they had. Since they didn't sell tools, I went to Sears and found a set of the Craftsman tools. I still use some of the others today too! Quite good steel. Buying that lathe put me on the edge of the slippery slope - one misstep was all it took.

Anytime I go to someone's shop or someone comes here we both learn something.

JKJ
That's a great idea with the Dremel, I have one and hadn't thought about using it to engrave with. I think I'll see if I can put my initials on the blade near the handle. I know you're overbooked John, you have to be one of the busiest guys I know, I don't know how you get so much done in a day unless you figured out how to get 30 hours into a day. With the vet's garage getting more and more turners I know they will appreciate additional turning tools but please don't feel that you have to or that there is a hurry. And if you want a tax deduction form let me know and I'll pick it up for you when I drop off the tools.

I just noticed that there is a craigslist ad here in Spokane for 27 old (and slightly rusty) lathe tools which includes a Craftsman diamond parting tool, just not sure its worth the $80 for the set of tools.