Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's Plane!

Blog Entries

Let's Plane!

I'm setting for this year's Kez in NYC, and have detailed the efforts taken in a blog post.

Please have a look, and I look forward to your comments.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/...03/lets-plane/
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

The plane looks nice and tidy inside. Looking forward to your report about the competition.

How are you trying to tune the plane to better performance? Or is that a secret?

Another great write-up. Thanks for sharing.

That's cool Brian, very nice work. Good luck with the competition. I have a question about the actual competition though. Is there a qualification type test before you run on the real lumber? Reason I'm asking is that they wouldn't want someone making a mess of the competition lumber so that it had to be re-leveled or does that happen anyway to give everyone an even playing field?

Blog Entries
    Brian

Is that a Lie Nielsen 4 1/2 in the photo?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    The plane looks nice and tidy inside. Looking forward to your report about the competition.

How are you trying to tune the plane to better performance? Or is that a secret?
    It's a secret....one that I'm still working on!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bent View Post
    Another great write-up. Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    That's cool Brian, very nice work. Good luck with the competition. I have a question about the actual competition though. Is there a qualification type test before you run on the real lumber? Reason I'm asking is that they wouldn't want someone making a mess of the competition lumber so that it had to be re-leveled or does that happen anyway to give everyone an even playing field?
    Excellent question! I actually did the prep of the competition board last year and likely will again this year since I'm bringing the 'zamboni' which is a LN 7 that I put a flat grind on. Everyone is given the option to either have a pass taken by the LN 7 before taking their shavings or to go with what was left behind.

Unfortunately if someone really runs off the rails its hard to totally recover with breaking out the winding sticks and so forth, something I may well do but it's not something I really want to with a crowd of people waiting for the show to go on.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Brian

Is that a Lie Nielsen 4 1/2 in the photo?
    LOL, good catch.

Thanks for that Brian. Very much enjoyed the video of chopping. Aside from smiling at the Ralph Lauren, Carpet and bare feet I was impressed by the skill many of us underestimate, holding a mallet/hammer right at the end of the handle and swinging with confidence to hit the chisel in a good rhythm. Best of luck at the competition. My finest shavings I've managed were whilst reviewing a WoodRiver 51/2 http://www.gshaydon.co.uk/blog/woodriver-plane-review I was able to get the same results with the wooden jack too.

Blog Entries
    My pleasure, good to hear from you Graham. Maybe Ralph will put in for a sponsorship.

It's not easy, even still I'm sure I've broken my thumb not long ago from the odd miss. I always hit my target, but for a while there I had a terrible habit of levering the chisel about one second too soon.

Thank you! That is quite a fine shaving!

Why is a 65 mm iron not optimal for planing a 2" (~51 mm) workpiece?

Also, I am thoroughly unsurprised to see that VAR White plane iron that you mentioned in the other thread make a featured appearance here :-).
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 08-03-2017 at 3:22 PM.

Now that I've had more time to read: That's a very nice post. Best of luck in the competition!

What happened to your slippers, though? It's highly disconcerting to see you chisel barefoot like that.

EDIT: How thin is that "not thin enough" shaving? IIRC you did 12 mils in competition last year, and that doesn't look much thicker than that.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 08-03-2017 at 3:22 PM.

Blog Entries
    65mm will cut it, but that is the measure of the full width of the blade, once you take away room for the grooves you're down to about 56mm, so it's tight. I've been consistently taking them, so it's not problematic, but a 70mm is easier still.

I plan to bring a few planes, whichever best behaves will be the go-to.

Good memory, I did pull 12mil. This is close to that, probably around 20mil, but I'll need to trim it down considerably. Really I need to be pulling 4-6mil to be a contender.

Go Brian go, someday you will be a big star, Brian B Holcombe tonight!
    David

Blog Entries
    Haha, thanks David!

Looks to me like you are having way too much fun. All that to make one pass down the track. A bit like racing fuelers one pass and you could be done for the day. I hope you do well.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Thanks James! Haha it is exactly like fuelers, hours and hours of work for a four second pass