Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone make Exterior louvered shutters?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Be smart. You cant beat someone at what they do every day. https://www.subercustomshutters.com/
    Buy everything! Make nothing!!

No more sawmillcreek.org!!!

Blog Entries
    No, but making shutters is not something I want to do. I hung plantation shutters for customers in a previous life. I've painted and hung them in my own home.
    I don't want to do it anymore.
    I used to work on my cars, I don't do that anymore either.

I have a book of woodworking projects for boats that includes information about making louvered doors. The author made a jig with what amounts to plunge router on a long trammel arm and complimentary angled fences to guide the rails. The mortises are cut by swinging the router through a degree or two of arc. Technically the mortises aren't straight but the arc has such a large radius and the swing is so short, they are close enough to straight. I could dig that up if it is of interest.

Do you have or know someone with a Leigh FMT jig? Leigh makes a template for cutting these angled slots with a router and the FMT jig. The template is cheap. The FMT jig is not. I ended up buying the FMT Pro jig when I was about to start a project that required over 1600 mortise and tenon joints. The jig paid for itself, and then some, with this one project. I'm now frequently finding new uses for it. The precision capability of the FMTjig is fantastic.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 08-06-2017 at 9:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Have to comment here on the power of convention. The methods in this thread are ,no doubt, working well but certainly a lot of work. The old bevel slat type shutters are and have always been more expensive than the currant type. Much more expensive and almost always hinged,even if seldom closed. Without an old time machine to make the cuts for modern slats the modern type are now MORE work than the old ones cut with radial arm saw. I think the new aluminum and plastic shutters have given the rounded slat real wood type a new popularity. I will get used to it.
    I agree Mel i do like that way . Here is the detail i like as the slot does not come through the face
    46.jpg

I also like operational too

47.jpg
    jack
    English machines