Thread: Thoughts on a 1997 Delta/Rockwell 3hp 220v shaper

Thoughts on a 1997 Delta/Rockwell 3hp 220v shaper

It is Made in America. The asking price is $1600.00. Here is the thing...it is brand new and has never been used. The gentleman is bought it new intending on using it but never did. I have looked at it an have confirmed it is in-fact new and unused. Included are a large quantity of steel cutters. Interested in hearing any thoughts on the price and the fact that it is unused.

tia

Rick

That price is insane, if i'm being honest. It's 20 years old, and you can buy a new Grizzly for $1200. Mind you I love vintage machines, but the 90's are far from vintage.

People have trouble trying to sell their Rockwell shapers for 500 dollars. The point is..... How would you feel if you blew 1600 dollars if you found a decent one much cheaper?

Yeah, agree with Matt and Bill. Don't think new means much here when you could buy a number of used one for same money. I've seen boxes of the steel cutters unsold at yard sales. I like them ,but they are always available at another sale and some times just given away.

Insane sums it up for me to. Delta is dead and you are not getting parts easily. It may be new but it has no warranty. Steel cutters don't add a lot of value for me. I had the Grizzly shaper. It is average because of the fence. I would buy it over the Delta even if the Delta was half the asking price
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 08-02-2017 at 1:41 AM.

Blog Entries

Fwiw

I have a 20 year old 3/4 hp Delta shaper that is bullet proof.

Rockwell was long gone by 97.

If if it's labeled delta/Rockwell it's a lot older than 97 vintage.

That at said, I don't think it's worth $1600 whatever the vintage and condition unless it's coming with a ton of cutters and a power feeder too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Rockwell was long gone by 97.

If if it's labeled delta/Rockwell it's a lot older than 97 vintage.

That at said, I don't think it's worth $1600 whatever the vintage and condition unless it's coming with a ton of cutters and a power feeder too.
    Good catch. Pentair bought Delta from Rockwell in 1984, so if it's a Rockwell Delta it is much older than represented.

Rick - It would be great to have photos, but mostly nameplate (s) of machine, and motor.

The fact that it has sat unused, assuming in decent storage conditions, is no problem.

A good thing, In my opinion.

Kinda like the Barn find muscle car.

The cutters, sure you may find a dime a dozen at some yard sale.... If you go to 500 yard sales.

The main thing is... Even if he has 100 cutters, many, maybe most, of probably YOU will never use.

So that means the majority are literally paperweights or squatters taking room and adding clutter to your shop.

In my knowledge, nothing will age on that machine IF it was kept in decent ambient.

Obviously, stuff like surface rust on table, maybe spindle, totally expected.

As long as it wasn't under a leaking roof or something.

Is the motor # phase, voltage, etc... suitable for your shop ?

Come back w photos and nameplate info. Marc

Thanks for the feedback everyone I decided not to get it because I did think it was overpriced and, for my next project, I need a bandsaw. I opted to buy the latter. Here are pics for those curious. shaper-3.jpgshaper-1.jpg

Looks very nice.

That looks brand new.

Some kinda 2 speed?

Throat size?

Price, for curiosity ? Marc

That made in US Delta shaper is WAY higher quality than any imported Grizzly.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Rick

I know that you passed on it, but the devil is in the details.
    The machine, by itself, in good working order would be about $500.00. An unused machine would be worth more, at least to me
    You didn't indicate what type of cutters came with it, but they can be expensive. It would be very easy to have an assortment of cutters that far exceed the worth of the machine, or even the cost brand new.
    Which spindles did it come with? The norm was 1/2" and 3/4", but it could be ordered with a 1" spindle cartridge. A NIB, OEM, 1" spindle cartridge could be worth more than a good used machine.
    Does it have the OEM Router collet adapters? NIB they would be worth 1/2 the amount of a 1" spindle cartridge.
    The actual two speed motor itself can have a factor in resale value. The WEG, two speed motor, would make the machine worth more than one with an OEM Delta motor.

So while $1600.00 looks really out of whack, it could be actually worth that.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

If the bearing are 20 years old they have probably dried out. I would pop the seals and add a drop of oil to each of the four bearings on that machine.
    On my Grizzly 1+1/2 HP shaper I had to chop a hole in the side so I could tighten the spindle rather then have to pull it away from the wall every time I wanted to change a spindle. It has a 1/2, 3/4 and router spindle(1/2" ?) as standard.
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-02-2017 at 1:23 AM.

Marc - those pics are of the shaper.

Rick - let's see the bandsaw!