Thread: Found an old No. 3 this weekend

Mattapoisett (on the South Coast of Massachusetts)

Found an old No. 3 this weekend

I was on the hunt at the local Antique Malls/Flea Markets this past weekend and found an old Stanley No 3 all caked up in dirt from years of use. It was only 5 dollars, so after a very brief inspection I decides to take a flyer on it. I did notice that some work had been done on the Lever Cap, but for 5 bucks who cares? I started to clean it up when I got home and found that the body had been cracked on both sides and was welded and that it actually had a corrugated sole. Disappointed I put it aside and chocked it up to experience.

After work yesterday I was bored and decided to take another look at the poor little plane, it only took 5 minutes to flatten the sole and another 30 to re-hone the bevel and sharpen the iron. I have to say it works quite well. I can't help but think of the man (or women) who valued this tool so much as to perform such a detailed and quality repair, he must have either been a passionate hobbyist or used the tool everyday in providing for his family. Either way, I'm happy I found it and brought it back to life.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I should have mentioned also that I'm a new member and this was my first post, but I have been lurking around here for quite a while, thanks for all the great info.

Welcome John! Glad to have you with us!

I have a couple #3s and they're among my favorites. Put that baby to work makin shavings!
    Fred

Welcome to SMC, John! That is a really nice find. Congrats!

Thanks for the welcome guys, it was put to work on some beautiful worm holed Butternut last night.

Great score, I'm still looking for a Stanley #3.

That plane must have been dropped from a 10 story building to get damaged by that. Tough Break. But, what is dead never dies! Just ask those peeps from the Iron Islands.

That's what I assumed, must have been using it up on a ladder, maybe doing window trim or some other datil type work.

Welcome and I have been looking for a #3 for some time now - just being patient but it has been at least 2 years so far - may have to go the ebay route.

Blog Entries
    Howdy John and welcome to the Creek.

The plane looks like a real Sweet Hart.

A #3 I picked up cheap also had a big crack I didn't notice. Bought another sole on ebay and now it is a fine little plane.

Your find is a testament to a time when it was less expensive to repair things than it was to replace them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I've had a #3 for years. It is a favorite. I have 604, 605, and 607 Bedrocks.

I use the #3 more than the Bedrocks combined.

Also, it seems like I remember some people repairing cast iron bodies by brazing. I'm curious
    if any of you have heard of it.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-01-2017 at 1:03 PM.

12. Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I've had a #3 for years. It is a favorite. I have 604, 605, and 607 Bedrocks.

I use the #3 more than the Bedrocks combined.
    I am slightly ashamed to say that my #3 Handyman is probably my favorite plane....

13. #3 is a nice size. Small enough to use one handed when necessary, large enough to be a real smoother.

My #3 sized planes (2..) are both by Millers Falls..aka No. 8

There is a fellow at "Chisel & Forge" that Silver Brazes iron plane bodies....Has fixed a Millers Falls No. 14 for me.