Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: If you had $400 to spend on a hand tool, any hand tool, what would it be?

I wasn't there, but I imagine all their reps would have been busy sharpening the cutters for their new combination plane!

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Chris: You and Andrew are welcome to come over and try out some Curly Maple I have been working with. I have a slab that is way too wide for a planer a friend has, and is almost a 1/4" too thick...for the Black Walnut Bread board ends I want to use...
    we really should do that...... Just need to schedule it since I think that my August and September are mostly spoken for, but...... I know that I can convince you to let me drag you out for some Mexican food..... Just lock up those squares or one might wander home with me....

Hell, we just need to wander out so that we can hang-out and then we can see first hand how your finger is doing.

LOL...Ok. About a week more on the thumb...
    IMG_1368 (640x480).jpg
    Still waiting on that $400 Maple......someday...

I'm lusting after the new D8 Handsaw/Panelsaw from Bad Axe Toolworks. Modeled on the classic Disston D8 pattern. Mark will make them in both 24" and 26" plates with either rip or XC and your choice of handle types (thumbhole or no thumbhole). Nom nom.

Was using my D-8 the other day...
    D-8 saw.jpg
    8ppi Crosscut, fully readable etch....very nice saw.

What's the point of the thumb hole?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    What's the point of the thumb hole?
    The right hand goes around the tote as normal. The left thumb goes through the hole to help push the saw through difficult rip cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    The right hand goes around the tote as normal. The left thumb goes through the hole to help push the saw through difficult rip cuts.
    Thank you. I didn't consider the two handed option. Makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer
    It has a graphite frame
    Apparently it's aluminum now: https://bluesprucetoolworks.com/blog...saw-chronicles

Unfortunately, I forgot about this and blew my Christmas money on a pair of Knipex plier wrenches and a Cobra, and a Mininch Toolpen Mini, and a Magic: The Gathering card, and a Brooks Cambium C15 All Weather saddle for my bicycle, so I guess I'll have to revisit this for my birthday....

Quote Originally Posted by William Adams View Post
    The two tubular parts are carbon fiber.

Somehow this does not surprise me at all. If you look at the changes from the earlier announcement to now they're all about cost and supply chain optimization. Those carbon tubes are likely much more widely available than the graphite rods he was using before per Malcolm. By using Aluminum for the arm/tensioner assemblies he avoids the need to make any custom molds, whereas the equivalent graphite assemblies in the initial design were going to require a very expensive bit of tooling to mass-produce. As an added bonus he now has freedom to make the two end assemblies different, whereas that would have been an extremely expensive proposition (requiring a second mold) in the initial design.

Of course the downside is that it's going to weigh more.

Been home caring for my two pups after some nasty surgery.

Ordered one of these in ebony/large or 10”... wanted to buy the whole matched set and the same or at least one bevel in boxwood. Major restraint was exercised and if you take into account the exchange rate it meets the $400 budget.

https://www.vespertools.com.au/vespe...s-try-squares/

Today I ordered a burnisher, a Aurio rasp and a cross peen hammer from LN.

Ok I gotta stop now. I never ever sit on the couch but if I do I clearly shop. All my tools are razor sharp waiting for me to be able to use them again as I can sharpen from the couch. My pup needs my eyes on her 24x7 so that’s about all I can get for shop time as apposed to spending time. I should probably cut up my credit card till she heals up and I can get back to work.

Oh and last week a ebony HNT Gordon small spokeshave.

It’s everything I can do to not order a LN or LV shoot board plane.

All of the above are $400 or under.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 12-28-2017 at 5:32 PM.

A matched set of LN 16” Tenon saws. One filed Rip, one filed Crosscut.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    It's only a matter of time.....I fought it for an entire year before I succumbed, and I fought it hard.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post

All of the above are $400 or under.
    The L-N 51 is $500. It's the single most expensive plane in their regular line (not limited offering or special order).

Ok, ok you got me.

I musta been thinking LV...

Potato potaaaaahtow....

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    The L-N 51 is $500. It's the single most expensive plane in their regular line (not limited offering or special order).