Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: If you had $400 to spend on a hand tool, any hand tool, what would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by john zulu View Post
    Sharpening stones before all the fancy tools. That is good investment there.
    And one that will soon see more of my money.

Starrett H-8
    Jim
    Last edited by James Pallas; 08-04-2017 at 10:01 AM. Reason: spell check

3. Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Starlet H-8
    Jim
    Oooo, tempting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Starrett H-8
    Jim
    I'm confused. I just looked this up, and it's selling for $410. I just bought a 12" Starrett Combo Square for around $60 on sale on Amazon. What's the difference other than 12" more length in the ruler????

http://www.starrett.com/metrology/pr...uring-Tools/8h

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I'm confused. I just looked this up, and it's selling for $410. I just bought a 12" Starrett Combo Square for around $60 on sale on Amazon. What's the difference other than 12" more length in the ruler????

http://www.starrett.com/metrology/pr...uring-Tools/8h
    The H-8 casting is huge, probably 3-4X as heavy as the one you have. It therefore provides larger registration faces for larger work.

You can get a 24" 4R rule for your existing combo square if that's all you want.

Quote Originally Posted by john zulu View Post
    Sharpening stones before all the fancy tools. That is good investment there.
    Like these?

Full disclosure: I have that kit. It's a lifesaver. I've made ceramic waterstone slips from a used-up Sigma 1K and 6K for very frequently used tools, and wooden forms that I use with lapping films/compounds for some others, but the Norton kit is really convenient for oddball profiles, and particularly older HCS irons.

Hmmm, still waiting on that $400 pile of Curly Maple....sigh...maybe someday

I think I'd buy a Tormek sharpening system and a high power lighted magnifier to use with it

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel O'Connell View Post
    Hah, yeah, it is really expensive and I'll likely never buy it. That said, at Handworks I was able to try both of them several times and I found the Lie-Nielsen to perform markedly better and to feel much nicer than the Veritas model. Its really the only Lie-Nielsen product that I prefer over Veritas, but it left an impression on me. And after pricing Stanley #51s, I'm not sure it isn't worth just buying the new Lie-Nielsen if I decide I want one.

I currently shoot with a Stanley #6. I really should pick up a low angle jack one of these days.
    I've tried both shooters several times, and own the Veritas. The Veritas shooter at handworks this year was extremely dull when I tried it, and it didn't look like the Lee Valley employees were bothering to sharpen the planes very often. The LN demonstrators were sharpening more regularly, so it might have made a difference when trying them out. When sharpened properly, my veritas shooter is pretty remarkable. But it does dull fairly fast, even with PM-V11, as my shooting board is non-ramped and the same section of blade gets worn over and over.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Jordan View Post
    I've tried both shooters several times, and own the Veritas. The Veritas shooter at handworks this year was extremely dull when I tried it, and it didn't look like the Lee Valley employees were bothering to sharpen the planes very often. The LN demonstrators were sharpening more regularly, so it might have made a difference when trying them out. When sharpened properly, my veritas shooter is pretty remarkable. But it does dull fairly fast, even with PM-V11, as my shooting board is non-ramped and the same section of blade gets worn over and over.
    I also noticed the VAST difference in sharpness between Lie-Nielsen's shooter and the one at the Veritas booth. I already have (and love) the Veritas shooter, but I had a friend with me who was considering a shooter. I showed him both examples, and wow- the LN cut much better, but I knew (because I own the Veritas) that it was due to the sharpness. That said, I was VERY impressed with the Lie-Nielsen shooter.

Chris: You and Andrew are welcome to come over and try out some Curly Maple I have been working with. I have a slab that is way too wide for a planer a friend has, and is almost a 1/4" too thick...for the Black Walnut Bread board ends I want to use...

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Jordan View Post
    Malcolm wrote: I also noticed the VAST difference in sharpness between Lie-Nielsen's shooter and the one at the Veritas booth. I already have (and love) the Veritas shooter, but I had a friend with me who was considering a shooter. I showed him both examples, and wow- the LN cut much better, but I knew (because I own the Veritas) that it was due to the sharpness. That said, I was VERY impressed with the Lie-Nielsen shooter.
    I have both (I purchased the LN #51 and acquired the Veritas via testing). They are used on a Stanley #52 Chute Board.

Given equally sharp blades, I give the nod to the LN because I prefer the traditional looks, and because it has slightly more momentum when pushed owing to it being slightly heavier. Both are equally comfortable to push however (both must have guided chutes). However, the Veritas is a bit better on end grain owing to the lower cutting angle (and most shooting involves end grain), and when it comes to maintaining the sharpness of the edge, the Veritas blows the LN out of the water (see my review on this). The ability for the Veritas to remain sharper so much longer is a biggie for me, and for this reason the Veritas is the one to live alongside my bench.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I could get excited over a Lie Nielsen 5 1/2 Jack Plane.

Christopher Swartz, Ron Herman, or some other hand tool guy to give me lessons

Wait, probably cannot afford them!

A Lee Valley plane with which i can cut some dadoes for things such as drawer bottoms. I think that their plane is more than $400 fully outfitted though.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Allen Jordan View Post
    Now thats interesting. I would have assumed Lee Valley would pay more attention.