Thread: Found an old No. 3 this weekend

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mattapoisett (on the South Coast of Massachusetts)

Found an old No. 3 this weekend

I was on the hunt at the local Antique Malls/Flea Markets this past weekend and found an old Stanley No 3 all caked up in dirt from years of use. It was only 5 dollars, so after a very brief inspection I decides to take a flyer on it. I did notice that some work had been done on the Lever Cap, but for 5 bucks who cares? I started to clean it up when I got home and found that the body had been cracked on both sides and was welded and that it actually had a corrugated sole. Disappointed I put it aside and chocked it up to experience.

After work yesterday I was bored and decided to take another look at the poor little plane, it only took 5 minutes to flatten the sole and another 30 to re-hone the bevel and sharpen the iron. I have to say it works quite well. I can't help but think of the man (or women) who valued this tool so much as to perform such a detailed and quality repair, he must have either been a passionate hobbyist or used the tool everyday in providing for his family. Either way, I'm happy I found it and brought it back to life.
    Attached Images Attached Images