Thread: Q-Switched vs MOPA - A Common Sense Discussion

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Q-Switched vs MOPA - A Common Sense Discussion

I know, yet another fiber thread, but hear me out. I've been reading for weeks, gathering quotes, talking with vendors, etc., and I cannot find anyone that provides what I consider to be a clear, common sense explanation as to one vs the other.

Here's what I've been told so far, by both Chinese and Western manufacturers and salespeople:
    • MOPA is only really better than Q-Switched if you're engraving on plastic.
    • MOPA is better at producing colors on various metals
    • Q-Switched is just as good as MOPA on colors/metals
    • You only need MOPA if you're interested in finer graphics, and Q-Switched produces good graphics, but MOPA allows for more intricate details

If I can remember a few other things I'll post them, but as you can see, they are all over the place. Yes, some of it is simply trying to sell their equipment, but with an average of $3K-$4K difference in price between MOPA vs Q-Switched, I want to know bottom line, is MOPA worth it? This doesn't even begin to touch on the SPI, IPG, Raycus debate.

As a side note, I saw someone as Triumph is a specific fiber they were selling is MOPA/Q-Switched, and this was the answer: "We use JPT laser which is mopa structure and pules width fixed as 200." What? Is it or is it not MOPA? Seems like there would be a clear answer.

BTW, I've gathered around 15 quotes, and it's all over the place with pricing.

Anyone else experience this while researching their purchase?
    Last edited by Jacob John; 07-29-2017 at 3:26 PM.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7