Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question - How would you do this?

Question - How would you do this?

A couple of years ago I made myself a simple iPad stand, which includes an access "notch" (not sure what to call it) to allow me to press the home button when the iPad is seated in the dado in portrait mode. I used a chisel to add the notch.

Well, my wife's daughter is getting married and thought that this would make a great present for the wedding party, so I have a number of these to make now. Can anyone suggest another way to create the notch? The problem is it's proximity to the dado so I think using something like a core box bit will hit the back of the dado and would probably need to be used in my drill press rather than the router table.

Any ideas? Here's a couple pics.

20170729_113722.jpg

20170729_115615.jpg

Thanks!

i think i would try an angled sled on a drill press and use a small drum sander, the kind you get at harbor freight.

How many do you need to make? For a dozen or so I would just do them by hand, if I had to do many more than that I think an angled jig on the drill press with a nice sharp fresh forstner bit would get you there. If I was using the drill press I would do it first and then cut the groove to avoid blowout.

File/rasp.

idk but it being asymmetric is bothering me

I would plunge it on the shaper with a small bit. You could clamp stops on either side to make it an oval instead of circular. If you do not have the correct bit use a wedge of scrap to tilt the work up or down. Similar to making oval handholes in the side of boxes.
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 07-29-2017 at 1:15 PM.

I was thinking about an angled sled too, but couldn't decide on the best way to go from there. Drum sander bit may work but not sure about the fostner bit as the center point extends further than the teeth of the bit. This ball nose end mill looked like it might do it but I don't know if running it at drill press speed vs. much faster router speed would be a problem: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-Tw...3D322600802395

Also considering using a fishtail carving gouge like this: https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...tem/IL-54x6.XX. I've never used one but seems like it may be easier than using a chisel.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    How many do you need to make? For a dozen or so I would just do them by hand, if I had to do many more than that I think an angled jig on the drill press with a nice sharp fresh forstner bit would get you there. If I was using the drill press I would do it first and then cut the groove to avoid blowout.
    When all's said and done probably 30 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by David T gray View Post
    idk but it being asymmetric is bothering me
    David, what do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I would plunge it on the shaper with a small bit. You could clamp stops on either side to make it an oval instead of circular. If you do not have the correct bit use a wedge of scrap to tiler the workup or down.
    Bill
    No shaper here but I do have a router table. I have 2 cove box bits - 1's too small and the other is too large. I can try the small one with stops and see how it works out. The easiest way would be to plunge the larger one intentionally intersecting the grove equally on both sides and be done with it. But that seems too easy

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Sak View Post
    When all's said and done probably 30 or so.
    For 30 I would definitely use the drill press. If need be you can grind the point off of a Forster, for the cut you're doing you don't need it anyways. No way I would take a chance plunging 30 parts on a router table, (and certainly not on a shaper) it only takes one mistake for that to go wrong in a hurry.

Also, router bits and endmills rarely play nice in a drill press but it never hurts to try. You may get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    File/rasp.
    Me thinks that'd be a tough one with the proximity of the groove on the other side.

I think the small drum in a drill press with it jigged at an angle is likely a cheap easy option.

Might want to mark them out and hog back most of the material with a burr bit or even a big drill bit in a handheld drill, then finalize the shape with the drill press.

Oh, thought the top came off. Quick pass with a carving knife?

You could plunge straight down with a 1” ball cutter on the drill press. You would end up with a scallop on the opposite side but would that matter?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005W1843M..._t1_B00004T7DI
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 07-29-2017 at 2:18 PM. Reason: added link
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

For me, a carbide burr in a dremel or a die grinder would be the fastest, cleanest way. They make the burrs in almost any profile and size you can think of...