Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it worth buying a used 1 1/2 HP oneida cyclone dust collector for $60

I went on to clearvue's site but I did not see anything for remotes or contactors. Could you send me a link?

Quote Originally Posted by john lawson View Post
    In my opinion it is worth buying if:

1. You can pipe it with 6" PVC close to your machines then step it down to 4"

2. You can have a fairly straight run to your machines, not too many 90 degree turns.

3. You have the discipline to close up the ports that are not in use.

As you probably know all the Oneida stuff is good, but with an internal filter and only 1 1/2 HP you can't do as much with it as a larger unit. But for that price and your plan you can get a lot of value out of it. The lack of a switch is no big deal. Get a buddy to wire it for you, switches are cheap. Better yet, go to the Clearvue website and look at how they use $15 wireless remotes and contactors. A good contactor will cost you $10 on Amazon.

Put a plug on it and use one of these remote controls. I've had one for years and it works great.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LR220-3.html

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Klein View Post
    I went on to clearvue's site but I did not see anything for remotes or contactors. Could you send me a link?
    private message sent

What are you waiting for? BUY IT!!!
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Its been purchased. Now I have a couple of wiring questions. What size wiring and circuit breaker do I need to run if I had the motor wired for 220. It can also be wired for 110

motor specs
    HP 1.5
    RPM 3450
    Volt 115/208-230
    FLA 13.4/7.4-6.7
    SF 1.30
    SFA 17.6/10.3-8.8
    phase 1 type b
    thermally protected.

My suggestion is to put in a 20 amp 240v circuit using 12 gage wire and appropriate 20 amp connections and breaker. That way, you're setup for something larger should you decide to upgrade in the future to a 2 or 3 hp unit.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    My suggestion is to put in a 20 amp 240v circuit using 12 gage wire and appropriate 20 amp connections and breaker. That way, you're setup for something larger should you decide to upgrade in the future to a 2 or 3 hp unit.

I assume there is no harm in installing 30amp dual pole breaker and 10 gauge wires since it would be the same amount of work anyway. Maybe I will be gifted with a 5 HP dust collector one day

I assume there is no harm in installing 30amp dual pole breaker and 10 gauge wires since it would be the same amount of work anyway. Maybe I will be gifted with a 5 HP dust collector one day
    No problem at all. You could also put in 10 gage and terminate with 20 amp, leaving the option to upgrade to 30 amp later merely by changing the breakers and other terminations to the proper rating later. Any 240v circuits I've installed since the original have been with 10 gage for exactly that reason.
    --

motor specs
    HP 1.5
    RPM 3450
    Volt 115/208-230
    FLA 13.4/7.4-6.7
    SF 1.30
    SFA 17.6/10.3-8.8
    phase 1 type b
    thermally protected.

so based on the motor specs I can install 30 amp breakers, 10gauge wire, and a plug and receptacle for 30 amps? I know I'm beating this topic to death but I am want to make sure all if safe and good. Basically is overkill ever bad? Like if a went all 50amp components from motor to breaker.

motor specs
    HP 1.5
    RPM 3450
    Volt 115/208-230
    FLA 13.4/7.4-6.7
    SF 1.30
    SFA 17.6/10.3-8.8
    phase 1 type b
    thermally protected.

so based on the motor specs I can install 30 amp breakers, 10gauge wire, and a plug and receptacle for 30 amps? I know I'm beating this topic to death but I am want to make sure all if safe and good. Basically is overkill ever bad? Like if a went all 50amp components from motor to breaker.
    It's overkill for this motor but gives you growth room. It's fine if you want to go this way.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thank you. I may go 30amp for growth purposes since cost and time will be be pretty much the same anyway

Yes, the motor is immaterial to the question as long as the circuit meets the minimum requirements for that motor. Breakers protect the wire, not the machine, so oversizing is just fine.
    --

Thanks. I will probably go 30amp and install 6in pipes. This way if I ever upgrade, it will be just a dust collector swap