Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth buying a used 1 1/2 HP oneida cyclone dust collector for $60

Is it worth buying a used 1 1/2 HP oneida cyclone dust collector for $60

I have the option to buy a used older(about 20 years old, my guess) 1 1/2 HP 110/220v cyclone dust collector for $60. It has a 12in straight impeller and built in dust filter inside the the cyclone area. If I buy it, Oneida sells a conversion kit that allows me to remove the internal dust filter and install an external cartridge. I have attached photos of the same model. ITs to the actual unit because I did not take photos but looks identical and also a before and after external filter setup.
    I have a 20x20 2 car garage with a basic tools, such contractor table saw, 12in sliding miter saw, 14 in bandsaw, 6 in jointer, lunch box planer. It is for my personal use. I called Oneida and they said it is perfect for a one man diy shop and they recommend using all 6 in piping. I still rather ask the sawmill creak community for their unbiased opinion.
    One think I notice is the only way to turn it on or off is to plug it directly into the wall. There is no on/off switch. So how rewire this so it is more practical.

the photo without the external dust filter is the current setup. I would have to buy the parts for about 200-300 more from oneida to convert it to an external filter setup.

2016-11-10-10.54.52.jpgIMG194-main.jpg

Well it is worth far more than that here just as scrap metal.
    That is an absolute steal even if it needs a new motor.
    Look up the price of a new unit and decide.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The motor is probably worth that much, even if you were to scrap it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks but I want to see if it is worth buying to use, not scraping.

What the guys above are saying is that it is a great price; you're buying a solid running dust collector for scrap metal price. If it were near me I would buy it just to flip it and make a few bucks.

In my opinion it is worth buying if:

1. You can pipe it with 6" PVC close to your machines then step it down to 4"

2. You can have a fairly straight run to your machines, not too many 90 degree turns.

3. You have the discipline to close up the ports that are not in use.

As you probably know all the Oneida stuff is good, but with an internal filter and only 1 1/2 HP you can't do as much with it as a larger unit. But for that price and your plan you can get a lot of value out of it. The lack of a switch is no big deal. Get a buddy to wire it for you, switches are cheap. Better yet, go to the Clearvue website and look at how they use $15 wireless remotes and contactors. A good contactor will cost you $10 on Amazon.

Might be a great deal, but too small to do you much good.

I would buy it for the single phase motor. It would be good on a jointer, sander etc. I think it should work for you. I would try the suction with piping and no filter before paying for the conversion kit. If it is not enough power sell it for more then you paid.

So what is this worth if I buy it and sell it for more like some suggest?

apparently, it's worth $60.

I have one just like that. I want to do the conversion, but it works fine the way it is. Many people are getting by with DC's that don't do nearly as well. Sure, it isn't up to the standard of a lot of cyclones you can buy for $1000

I didn't think they still sold the kit

Let's face it, you would spend that much just for a Dust Deputy cyclone separator, and still have to provide a shop-vac and be limited to 2" !

I owned one of these until about 2-3 years ago. It is a great dust collector and worth much more than $60 assuming the motor runs, the flywheel is still balanced (no reason for it not to be), and there is no damage. If that is a picture of it, then it looks as if it is in great shape. I used mine for 20 years before selling it for around $300 with the internal filter. It was a pain to clean out periodically but it did work well and my shop stayed very free of dust. The only problem with the internal filter is that Oneida does not sell a HEPA replacement filter in the correct size. Hence, the reason to upgrade to the external filter which I believe is HEPA. It will be noisier than their new V series but it is 20 years old. You just need hearing protection when using it.

I don't know the limitations of how much ducting you can run off it, but I ran a central line with 4 drops (later 3) with blast gates for each drop. I only ran it with 1 blast gate open at a time so don't know whether it would generate enough air movement to have more than one open at a time. With one open, though, it worked well for my planer, jointer, router table, and bandsaw.

I think you would be happy with it for your size shop, assuming you are a one-man shop.

You should know in advance though that Oneida staff know very little about this particular model as it was one of their first and there really aren't any tech support staff around from that time period at this point. Having said that, though, it really is just a dust collector and since they sell the external filter upgrade kit, there really isn't much that would go wrong with it. I always believed the motor would last forever in a hobby woodworker shop.

I had one in my old shop. The first time the filter needed cleaning, I removed it, and ducted it outside. I had a Unisaw, a Felder slider, an 8" jointer, a 15" jet planer, and a 12" RAS hooked to it permanently. 6" mains, with 6 or 4" drops.

It worked great. I only opened the gate for one machine at a time, except for the blade cover outlet on the RAS, which was always open to keep from collapsing the cheap snaplock pipes from HD.

I would grab it if it suits your needs.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Yes I am a one man 2 care garage diy shop. The motor does work and the photos are of the same model but not the one I am buying.