Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cutting the Cord

We cut the cord years ago and never bothered with OTA TV as most OTA is 60% commercials, 35% re-runs, 3% mediocre and 2% something worth watching :-). After having Verizon FIOS for years then being sold off to Frontier, we just switched to Spectrum for half of the cost of FIOS and twice the speed. In terms of content, Netflix is good (especially for original content and euro series), Amazon is getting better for original content and their channel offerings (BritBox, Walter Presents, HBO) and Hulu which we use when there is original content worth watching, otherwise its suspended. We also use an HTPC with a Smart DNS service to stream content from the European channels

Quote Originally Posted by BOB OLINGER View Post
    Does anyone have experience with OMGtv or EasyviewTV? I saw exhibitors at last week's IA State Fair pushing these. As I understand, you make a one time purchase for the box for about $400 (was $300 at the fair as specials), hook up to your internet, and get all the stations. Also, can research and watch any old program. This seems too good to be true which always raises concern. (OMG said the only station he couldn't get is RFD which I can live without). So, what's the real story on these?
    Bob - https://www.facebook.com/pg/OMG-free...53322/reviews/

Sorry, but as long as a any of us is plugging a device with a screen into an electrical outlet, no one is cutting the cord. I believe "shopping for more personalized content" would be a better term.

Well you can call it whatever you want but that's what the rest of the country calls it.

Anyone hooked up to EasyViewTV or OMGtv / I ran into these week before last at our state fair. Only $400 (fair special was $300) to buy the box and get every channel under the sun (not sure about local channels). Sure looked enticing .

The software on those boxes is Kodi and that content isn't legally free. Note the disclaimers at the bottom of both pages. Its pretty much the modern-day Napster and eventually people are going to start getting cease-and-desist letters, or worse. If you want to steal content you can buy a jail-broken Firestick with Kodi for way less money on Craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    So the question is ,if there's nothing on why waste all that money each month for nothing
    That's exactly the question we asked ourselves. We realized that 100% of our viewing was wither DVD/Bluray or streaming content. The only reason the cable box ever got turned on was for background noise. We never watched it. We would go months between ever watching anything live. So we got rid of it and we just don't care. We still see everything we want to watch, we just don't need to pay for cable. It just makes no sense to us.

After a few months I'm glad we went this route. Don't really miss what we don't get anymore (mostly History and HGTV) and we still have more to watch than is worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Do it. You don't need TV. Visit your local library. Spend more time in the shop. Take up pottery or leather work or quilting
    Otherwise known as actual cord cutting.

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    After a few months I'm glad we went this route. Don't really miss what we don't get anymore (mostly History and HGTV) and we still have more to watch than is worth watching.
    I'm also pleased with my decision to just go to locals-only on FiOS with no STBs and it's actually less expensive than a streaming service. I couldn't completely "cut the cord" because OTA wouldn't bring in the one station that I watch in the mornings. The Low-VHF frequency just will not cooperate with both antennas I tried. Topology between here and the transmitter is likely the issue.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Michael, have you compared Britbox and Acorn? We use Amazon Fire which has no monthly fee and costs about $40 for the equipment but it doesn't have the newest programmingso we are considering upgrading to something and enjoy both the Brit shows and the fact that Britbox and Acorn are relatively cheap.