Thread: Which smoothing plane to buy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You can buy the LN 4 1/2 in Bronze and solve that problem of having extra money in one fell swoop. See recent thread on that topic.

If you can fettle a plane, go for the woodriver #4, and save even more money for chisels!
    You asked for woodriver, so I suggest a #4 (which I have, and with very little fettling it is an excellent plane), but if you are willing to try a different maker, the Veritas Bevel Up Smoother or a Custom 4 at a higher angle (50 or 55) would be my first choices. Since you are having issues with tearout, maybe a Custom 4 would be your best bet so you can use a chipbreaker. The quality is the same as a Lie Nielsen (but costs a bit less) and better than a Woodriver.

Also, the interchangeability of blades only makes sense on bevel up planes, so I don't see how getting a new iron for your 5 1/2 would help at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    You can buy the LN 4 1/2 in Bronze and solve that problem of having extra money in one fell swoop. See recent thread on that topic.
    I'm still holding out for depleted Uranium.

Patrick,

U238 is dense, but if you want the really dense stuff, hold out for Iridium. Nothing denser!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    U238 is dense, but if you want the really dense stuff, hold out for Iridium. Nothing denser!
    ...except for Osmium.