Thread: Quick review: Centipede K100 Portable Work System

Quick review: Centipede K100 Portable Work System

The K100 is a collapsible 2 ft x 4 ft table base and sawhorse that costs $50. They also make a 4 ft x 8 ft version for around $100. Here'a link and you can google Centipede Tool Co if you want video, etc.

I have been looking for a portable worktable for the shop - something that I can elevate a project to glue it up, stain it or just keep it up off the floor. I just don't have room for something permanent. Well, the orange BORG stopped selling the heavy duty 2 foot x 4 foot folding table I liked so much. But I saw this online today and realized the BORG sells it for the same as the best price I found online (at Toolnut.) I figured I'd try it and if it was cheap/flimsy, I was out the equivalent of a meal out with date.

Well, this thing actually works. No kidding - it seems strong and sturdy. I put a 2 ft x 4 ft piece of 1/2 " MDF on top. Then I put my butcher block base on top. The working height is good and there is no wiggle or give at all. It comes equipped with plastic clampy things to hold a tabletop or 2x4s in place. But I just dropped a couple home made 3/4" bench dogs through holes at the corners of my MDF to lock everything in place. I think you really could use it as a stand for a miter saw, as the company suggests! And it folds up into an easy to store bundle, much like some of the collapsible chairs you probably own.

Certainly worth the cost of a dinner.

Fred

Edit: Wow. The blue BORG has it for only $35. I shoulda checked first. It's a no-brainer at that price!
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 07-23-2017 at 3:13 PM.

Thanks for sharing the review Fred and best place to purchase. I may give this a try myself based on your review!

Fred, I purchased one of those last year. I was not super impressed. Sawhorses would have worked just as well for my needs.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bradshaw View Post
    Fred, I purchased one of those last year. I was not super impressed. Sawhorses would have worked just as well for my needs.
    Joe
    Yeah Joe, I understand. I'm sure it's like alot of things - depends on how you use it. So far, I like it alot as a folding base for a worktable. Probably not so much for sawhorses - that might be design overkill. It will be interesting to hear any other peoples' goods and bads on this thing.

Take care,
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Yeah Joe, I understand. I'm sure it's like alot of things - depends on how you use it. So far, I like it alot as a folding base for a worktable. Probably not so much for sawhorses - that might be design overkill. It will be interesting to hear any other peoples' goods and bads on this thing.

Take care,
    Fred
    I have two (smaller sizes), because they don't take up any space. Great for cutting sheet stock with a track saw, glue-up, assembly, finishing or painting job, drying rack, lumber stickering... more versatile than the sawhorses I used to have. After borrowing mine once for photography reasons, my neighbor bought one for himself. These guys are also good for holding garage sales -- twice in the past couple years!

They never tip, unlike some flimsy sawhorses and they are easy to carry around or put in a car.

Simon

I have the XL version that I purchased when it first came out and have been very pleased with it. I purchased a few extra sets of the X cups and use 2 x 4's to brace sheet goods when cutting sheets of plywood. The sheet is fully supported throughout the cut with no risk of it sagging or dropping towards the end of the cut. I also used the same set-up to paint full sheets of plywood prior to breaking it down. It's a very handy system when space is at a premium or if you have work to perform outside and need a sturdy bench that only requires a piece of plywood for the top.

I have had them over year, think they are great. I use my Rockler bench cookies with a dog hole extension to keep my plywood top from moving. The company makes a similar set-up with the grip top. smaller profile. I actually picked them up but never opened the bag, misplaced it. The bench-cookies were my temp replacement, decided to stay with them. The big difference is they are light weight and come with there own bag. Dan

Fred, please clarify for me what the actual working height of these units? The link you provided seems to indicate 30". I really like the idea, especially since I'm in the middle of a slight shop arrangement change to better support larger projects, but am concerned that they may be higher than I might prefer for assembly work. The price and design is very attractive to me for sure. Two of those small units plus either a solid-core door or a piece of MDF would be perfect for what I'm envisioning.

EDIT...I just ordered two from Lowes. 'Can't beat $35 each with free shipping.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 07-25-2017 at 7:43 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Jim. Mine is 30 1/4" plus whatever top I put on it.

Nope. Cant beat the price you got, for sure!

Fred

I thought about it and the ~30-32" final height is fine. Now I just have to decide on what I want to use for a removable assembly surface. I can go with just a piece of sheet goods, but might consider building a torsion box just for grins. So many choices... LOL
    --

I'm very happy with these things....they setup and tear down "really fast". Best $70 spend (for two) in a long time for gadgets! Here setup for painting some bee keeping woodenware.

--

Glad you like them! I had mine out today too!

I use 1/4" MDF on top of mine - drilled holes to let me anchor the to the base.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Fred, please clarify for me what the actual working height of these units? The link you provided seems to indicate 30". I really like the idea, especially since I'm in the middle of a slight shop arrangement change to better support larger projects, but am concerned that they may be higher than I might prefer for assembly work. The price and design is very attractive to me for sure. Two of those small units plus either a solid-core door or a piece of MDF would be perfect for what I'm envisioning.

EDIT...I just ordered two from Lowes. 'Can't beat $35 each with free shipping.
    How did you get free Shipping from Lowes? They want $7.99 for shipping one to me.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    How did you get free Shipping from Lowes? They want $7.99 for shipping one to me.
    Never mind, if I order qty=2 the shipping is free.
    Mark McFarlane

You will not regret having these, Mark. Handy for a lot of things and not just in the shop, I suspect!
    --