Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Veritas combination plane.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Veritas combination plane.

Here is the video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyTH78e7ZXA

Looks like it is pretty expensive but impressive. I have no projects yet on this. I am sure will own it in the future.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-23-2017 at 12:52 PM. Reason: fixed title

Thanks John. I hadnt seen that vid. It's $399 with one blade and others are roughly $20 each. Too bad I already have a small plow and paid the $60 for the recent upgrade. I'm not sure I need everything the combo plane offers, but it sure looks like a capable tool.

They said it's based on the early Stanley 45 - I wonder if the blades would fit? (It shares several with the existing plow but has several unique-to-it blades. I dont know much about the 45, maybe the shared blades already do.)

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post

They said it's based on the early Stanley 45 - I wonder if the blades would fit? (It shares several with the existing plow but has several unique-to-it blades. I dont know much about the 45, maybe the shared blades already do.)
    According to Rob Lee, the 45/55, and record 405 blades will fit

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Magnuson View Post
    According to Rob Lee, the 45/55, and record 405 blades will fit
    Was there mention of the hollow, round, and stair nosing attachments and blades?
    Last edited by Jerome Hanby; 07-24-2017 at 7:59 AM. Reason: typo

Lol. Some people will pay that much for one chisel made from a 500 year old anchor chain made by XXX blacksmith. Others just knock a piece off of a 51 Hudson hornet rear bumper and use that. To each his own I guess. I guess I don't know much because I'm a bevel up user. It does look good to me. Maybe I'll sell my Stanley bevel downs and buy one.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Was there mention of the hollow, round, and stair nosing attachments and blades?
    Robb told me all the 45 and 55 blades would fit, and mentioned something about the 405, but I can't remember exactly. I plan to get some hollow and round profiles and try them out- will let you know once I do- I need to get the tool first. Official word was August for sure, but a little birdie at Handworks told me they were on track to possibly fill pre-orders late July. So... that could be this week by definition. My fingers are crossed. They said "Possibly" and "Hopefully" when mentioning an earlier release.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Whoa. Wait a minute - could this thing replace a set of H&Rs? That would be an important feature for me and would mitigate the cost even with $20 a piece blades.

What do you guys know?
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Whoa. Wait a minute - could this thing replace a set of H&Rs? That would be an important feature for me and would mitigate the cost even with $20 a piece blades.

What do you guys know?
    Fred
    He's probably asking because the 45 had an optional set of H+R soles/blades. The Veritas is patterned on the 45, so it's reasonable to ask if they're doing the same or if it's compatible with the Stanley accessories.

For that matter the 55 came with H+R irons.

As to whether that would mean that it (or any other combo plane) can replace a set of H&Rs, I imagine that there are a wide range of opinions :-).

On the #55...Cutter Box No. 1: The "Ogees" and other such cutters took advantage of the 55's movable skate.....these same cutters will NOT work on the #45 plane, nor any other plough planes . The left skate can be lowered to support the low side of the cutter, while the main stock stays put to support the high side of the cutter....The 55 also was able to tilt it's fences as needed. Yes it also had hollow and round cutters....with the special left skate to replace the sliding one...same set up as the #45...( and, good luck finding the #12 H&R....)

Thanks guys!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    He's probably asking because the 45 had an optional set of H+R soles/blades. The Veritas is patterned on the 45, so it's reasonable to ask if they're doing the same or if it's compatible with the Stanley accessories.

For that matter the 55 came with H+R irons.

As to whether that would mean that it (or any other combo plane) can replace a set of H&Rs, I imagine that there are a wide range of opinions :-).
    For the Stanley accessories such as the H&R soles to fit, the parallel rods would have to be set the same distance apart and be the same size as used on the Stanley #45. My recollection is only 4 sizes were made for the #45. The #55 comes with 4 sizes of H&R cutters with two more available in the special blade sets. Good luck finding them floating around. It would most likely be easier to purchase some extra blades and make your own.

Currently it is fairly easy to purchase H&R planes on the used market. Finding a matched set or even many of the odd sizes is a bit more of a challenge.

Nothing in the video led me to believe there will be Veritas H&R blades for the Large Plow Plane. Maybe if enough people request them they will be made, but that isn't something my money would be wagered upon.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Currently it is fairly easy to purchase H&R planes on the used market. Finding a matched set or even many of the odd sizes is a bit more of a challenge.
    Jim Bode sells used sets periodically. If the set has a lot of collectible makers or is mostly matched, the price is a lot higher. He seems to get a fair number though of good user sets, and the prices can be surprisingly cheap.

Blog Entries
    To my eyes it looks like a new and improved version of the Stanley #45. At least it looks like it will be more comfortable to use.

Anther items of interest, at first there doesn't seem to be a slitter. This isn't a big deal on the #45, however it can be handy. Though looking at the slitters on the skates looks like they may be substantial enough to do similar tasks. Makes me wonder if this can be used to cut accurate slots for inlay?

Comparing the price of this to a Stanley #45 is a bit of a stretch. Especially considering the Veritas Large Plow Plane will arrive at your door ready for business. A #45 may arrive in great shape, but even if it is mint the blades are likely to need some sharpening. Besides, the Veritas will come with customer service.

My #45s have worked well for me over the years, but part of my enjoyment of them has been the tinkering and learning the ins and outs of sharpening various blades. They have always been forgiven for my inattention to the details of their quirks causing mistakes while working a piece.

From the video it looks like blades for the #45 will fit about the same they do in the Veritas Small Plow Plane. There may be something not shown in the video. The Small Plow can be seen here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...all-Plow-Plane

People have been using planes with hand set blades for centuries before built in adjusters came on the scene. The price of a Stanley blade is going to be close to the price of a new blade so this won't be much of a deal killer for folks who do not already own a #45.

Also posted in the thread were these links:

If you are keen to read more about the Small Plow ...

Review and comparison with Records #044 and #043 (2007): http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...w%20Plane.html

Accessory Blades (T&G) (2012): http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...SmallPlow.html

The Small Plow as a Beading Plane (2016): http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...dingPlane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
    August is almost here.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 07-22-2017 at 1:08 PM. Reason: There may be something not shown in the video.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    People have been using planes with hand set blades for centuries before built in adjusters came on the scene. The price of a Stanley blade is going to be close to the price of a new blade so this won't be much of a deal killer for folks who do not already own a #45.
    I know I'm going to end up getting one of these but... the fact that it has adjusters not only for the blade but also for both depth stops and the fence just seems gratuitous.

I'm imagining the design meeting: "All right you hosers [*] we only have 14 brass knobs. Let's see what we can we do to add a few more, eh?"

[*] Yes, I am aware that Real Canadians (tm) do not talk like Bob and Doug McKenzie (for the most part).
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 07-22-2017 at 2:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    I know I'm going to end up getting one of these but... the fact that it has adjusters not only for the blade but also for both depth stops and the fence just seems gratuitous.

[edited]
    Two of the brass knobs control the depth stop. Yes it is possible to set the depth stop without a threaded adjuster. A threaded adjuster makes for a very controlled adjustment. Same with the adjuster on the fence. This works so well my early Stanley #45 was upgraded by purchasing a replacement fence on ebay, that's four brass knobs. Two more are to adjust and secure the blade and one to clamp the auxiliary depth stop makes seven. There are six to control the parallel rods which accounts for thirteen. Finally there is a mystery bolt:

Mystery Bolt?.png

Most likely it is to secure a blade without the movable fence installed. This would be especially necessary with thin blades like 1/8".

The #45 has pretty much all the same adjustments.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 07-22-2017 at 2:29 PM. Reason: The #45 has pretty much all the same adjustments.