Thread: Veritas combination plane.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    People have been using planes with hand set blades for centuries before built in adjusters came on the scene. The price of a Stanley blade is going to be close to the price of a new blade so this won't be much of a deal killer for folks who do not already own a #45.
    I know I'm going to end up getting one of these but... the fact that it has adjusters not only for the blade but also for both depth stops and the fence just seems gratuitous.

I'm imagining the design meeting: "All right you hosers [*] we only have 14 brass knobs. Let's see what we can we do to add a few more, eh?"

[*] Yes, I am aware that Real Canadians (tm) do not talk like Bob and Doug McKenzie (for the most part).
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 07-22-2017 at 2:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    I know I'm going to end up getting one of these but... the fact that it has adjusters not only for the blade but also for both depth stops and the fence just seems gratuitous.

[edited]
    Two of the brass knobs control the depth stop. Yes it is possible to set the depth stop without a threaded adjuster. A threaded adjuster makes for a very controlled adjustment. Same with the adjuster on the fence. This works so well my early Stanley #45 was upgraded by purchasing a replacement fence on ebay, that's four brass knobs. Two more are to adjust and secure the blade and one to clamp the auxiliary depth stop makes seven. There are six to control the parallel rods which accounts for thirteen. Finally there is a mystery bolt:

Mystery Bolt?.png

Most likely it is to secure a blade without the movable fence installed. This would be especially necessary with thin blades like 1/8".

The #45 has pretty much all the same adjustments.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 07-22-2017 at 2:29 PM. Reason: The #45 has pretty much all the same adjustments.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)