Thread: 16 x16 pavillion post size, wood type and finishing

16 x16 pavillion post size, wood type and finishing

Hi all,

Later this year we are building a pool. I'm having some extra slab poured to put a post and beam pavilion on at roughly 16x16.

I'm still in the early decision processes.

If I wanted to build this with 4 posts, I'm thinking that 8x8 posts are in order. Would you agree with this?

To match the house, the beams would need to be at 10 feet.

Now, when it comes to wood selection.. I'm leaning on Redwood for the structure, but I'm worried about ongoing maint. and the original finishing. I sure do not want to mess up this stage by using the wrong choice of products on the wood, as I'm sure the lumber won't be cheap.

Just looking for thoughts on the project.

Check your relevant building standards for your minimum post and beam sizes. Failing finding your code, the Building Code of Australia is available free on line and it includes span tables for all types of timber buildings. Cheers

Blog Entries
    Without knowing your location, it is difficult to design a structure. MOst states have adopted building codes that will tell you the structural requirements. You may also need building permits.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If it's a pavilion, rather than a storage area, I would use three posts at each corner ,then conect each cluster with a lattice treatment. Google gazebos, and summer houses.

I'm in Montgomery Texas, in the unincorporated county.. not the city of

Looks like the city of montgomery has adopted the 2015 international building codes.

The attached photo has a similar pavillion to what I'm going for.

I'm using a plan downloaded from Ozco, and plan to use their fasteners.

I am not doing tongue and groove in the ceiling, I have a roofing friend and will likely just go with a colored metal roof.

I'm also considering using pressure treated posts clad in cedar. In calling around for prices of materials, no one locally carries redwood beams that big, so cedar it is. Lucky for me I have a cedar mill about 10 minutes from my house. They quoted me 2300 for all the material.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If that's what you want it's easy enough to scale and copy. They used wide board box ,and aparantly thought they were still too skinny since they used those stone heaps at the bottom. The lattice treatment is more traditional and you seem to be looking for something modern. Lots of examples.

Most Redwood is not worth the dough.
    Here in So Cal I can only find low grade that is all red but full of knots, or clear which is half yellow.
    I found an outfit in Northern California which sells Old Growth B Grade in any size.

My Pergola is about 10x16, 9 feet high. I used 5x5 Posts. then 2x8s and 2x6s. All Painted White.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    Most Redwood is not worth the dough.
    Here in So Cal I can only find low grade that is all red but full of knots, or clear which is half yellow.
    I found an outfit in Northern California which sells Old Growth B Grade in any size.

My Pergola is about 10x16, 9 feet high. I used 5x5 Posts. then 2x8s and 2x6s. All Painted White.
    It is still a consideration to use pine or fir and paint it white. Or even vinyl... I'm still in the early decision process. But in our back yard, we live in the woods,, on a wooded lot, the house is wrapped in dark cedar.. it makes sense why the wood would fit into the landscape really well.

I don't know if this link will work, but it's worth a try.

These plans seem pretty straightforward. I likely won't have the front posts tied into the pool deck.

https://www.ozcobp.com/ozco-project--226-wood-post---beam-pavilion--16x16-----free-standing.html

posted the wrong link, corrected above.
    Last edited by jay harper; 07-18-2017 at 12:05 PM.

"Fit in to the landscape really well" That is a real different take on the traditional use of the word "pavilion". If you are looking for examples as inspiration ,I suggest the term "pic nic shelter".

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    "Fit in to the landscape really well" That is a real different take on the traditional use of the word "pavilion". If you are looking for examples as inspiration ,I suggest the term "pic nic shelter".
    that's another good word for it. I kept calling it a gazebo, which technically is ok to do, but I always imagine gazebo's as those round things.. I ripped "pavillion" directly from the Ozco plans

AND a quick google search shows your suggestion does in fact provide plenty of inspiration.

Jay, thanks for letting me know that helped. I'm guessing some of those "pavillion" searches were showing guys wearing metal suits and ladies with streamer ribbons on cone hats! Now a days ....there are better ways to protect against mosquitos!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Jay, thanks for letting me know that helped. I'm guessing some of those "pavillion" searches were showing guys wearing metal suits and ladies with streamer ribbons on cone hats! Now a days ....there are better ways to protect against mosquitos!
    LOL, totally true.