Thread: Found this in Florence Italy - What is it?

Found this in Florence Italy - What is it?

I recently took a trip to Florence with LOML. She was very patient as I photographed every piece of wood carving that I saw. I really loved this door from the Palazzo Pitti and I'm thinking about reproducing a couple of these panels but I can't figure out what kind of wood it is. This is certainly not the walnut that I get around here. Any ideas on what this is?

20170407-0604.jpg
    20170407-0592.jpg20170407-0598.jpg

BTW, If anyone needs some carving inspiration I took about 75 pictures of different carvings in Florence.

I dont know what it is but like you said, its not the walnut i have access to either. I can only imagine how much fun it was getting these photos. Oh,, im not savy to this lingo is LOML.. love of my life?

Blog Entries
    I hiked across Italy and loved Florence. The doors were a favorite of mine as well. I am going to say that looks like mahogany or cedar.

Did you climb the Duomo? Do you just crave gelato every day now?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I hiked across Italy and loved Florence. The doors were a favorite of mine as well. I am going to say that looks like mahogany or cedar.

Did you climb the Duomo? Do you just crave gelato every day now?
    I think it is Mahogany or Italian Walnut.

What happened to the other replies in this thread? I had one and it's gone .along with others.

Mel, you must be thinking of another thread. This thread has not had any editing or deletions.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bruce, thanks for checking. Maybe that door photo is in two threads,I should have done some checking before posting.