Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: chainsaw in shop

If you are going to cut branches and such across the grain I'm sure that any electric or perhaps battery driven will work. Cutting with the grain as cutting out the pith is where the rubber meets the road. The Makita corded is a nice saw but with its thin chain it is not up to the vigors of daily cutting with the grain. This is where the big Stihl electric stands above the others. Using the same chains as it gas powered brothers the saw has the power to do most everything its gas powered brethren can do and do it easily. Yes this comes at a cost but if you want an indoor saw that does big work it does cost significantly more. I had 4 corded saws a Craftsman, a Husqvarna, a Makita and the big Stihl which I wrote an article on. I still have and use the Makita for normal stuff but the Stihl is what is used for heavy duty work.

Sir,
    Can't find the Poland Pro corded on Amazon. What's a source? Saint Jo, TX.

I use the same saw as Leo. I recently contacted Oregon and got advise on a 18" bar. The 16 was just a little small for me. It cuts like a dream with this new bar and thin chain.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Harvill View Post
    Sir,
    Can't find the Poland Pro corded on Amazon. What's a source? Saint Jo, TX.
    As Poulan is owned by Husqvarna now, it looks like they have discontinued this saw, Amazon used to carrie it and others.

Works has a low cost 15 amp 18” electric chiansaa that gets good reviews, though I have no experience with it, Amazon carries it, maybe worth a look, for just a bit over $100--.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    I use the same saw as Leo. I recently contacted Oregon and got advise on a 18" bar. The 16 was just a little small for me. It cuts like a dream with this new bar and thin chain.
    I thought about that Peter, but then 2 more inches wasn’t going to really make a difference, I found cutting angled up till the nose starts cutting and then going at it from the other side doing the same thing, and back and forth, I could keep the nose out of the wood and cut some pretty large lumps of wood without the chance of kickback, anyway that worked for me
    Have fun and take care

Hey Leo! That WAS my process as well. I have a lathe with a 16" swing and often want to cut blanks a little longer. The new thin bar and blade make short work of what used to take me quite a bit of time. Oh and by the way, my chain saw skills are not the best and I often didn't get a nice flat side to work off on my band saw. Your comment about Husky taking over Poulain is interesting. I had not heard that and wonder if they will just do away with the saw I have. For an electric it is a real work horse!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

Hey Leo! That WAS my process as well. I have a lathe with a 16" swing and often want to cut blanks a little longer. The new thin bar and blade make short work of what used to take me quite a bit of time. Oh and by the way, my chain saw skills are not the best and I often didn't get a nice flat side to work off on my band saw. Your comment about Husky taking over Poulain is interesting. I had not heard that and wonder if they will just do away with the saw I have. For an electric it is a real work horse!
    Peter Husqvarna has bought up several companies and stopped it’s gun manufacturing, as that was it’s origin. here’s a quick glimpse, and AFAIK there are some more that are not mentioned.
    Husqvarna.jpg

My lathe that I changed to be able to turn wood (metal lathe) has a swing of 34” max, I hardly ever use the bandsaw for the bowl blanks, as it is to difficult to manhandle large pieces of wood.

So I use the chainsaw to lob the corners off and then use the lathe to do the rest.
    my lathe.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Leo--that must be some machine!
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I am not a fan of electric chainsaws, generally, but they're far better and more reliable than cheap gas powered saws.

I would recommend not lifting the logs up to cut them. Logs are much heavier than chainsaws. I have a little stand made out of 4x4s that I roll the logs onto to make cuts. It holds them 4"-6" off the ground and that's plenty. It's not pleasant to bend over but it's the best way, I think.

Get a hand truck with pneumatic tires for moving the logs around and you're set.

I too have the 18" Worx corded electric chainsaw and have been completely satisfied with it. It doesn't get used every day
    or even every month, for that matter, but it has worked fine for the couple of years I've had it.

I agree with Andy. According to my research the batteries do not last that long if one is preparing turning blanks. I use my Poulan in the shop all time and don't even notice any problem with cords . . . I also have a small Honda generator and sometimes find it easier to use away from my shop than starting the gas saw unless there is a lot of HEAVY cutting to do.
    Pete

I agree with Andy. According to my research the batteries do not last that long if one is preparing turning blanks. I use my Poulan in the shop all time and don't even notice any problem with cords . . . I also have a small Honda generator and sometimes find it easier to use away from my shop than starting the gas saw unless there is a lot of HEAVY cutting to do.
    Did your research include the EGO CS-1600 chainsaw with a 5.0 or 7.5Ahr battery?