Thread: chainsaw in shop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I bought a Ryobi 19V chain saw because it used the same batteries as my drill. It is very pathetic. The chain speed is way too low. It is basically just a toy. I also have a low-end 120 vac chainsaw that I use inside. It does a very decent job. In fact, I often use it outside also.

I'll echo the 18" Worx, it works awesome. I can't speak for other saws though I'm sure the higher end ones are great. I too would stick to corded for the shop and gas for the field.
    USMC '97-'01

My 14" Mikita corded chainsaw is a little dynamo... I keep the chain sharp and the oil level filled up and I feel like it will last forever.

If going corded, use proper (ie minimum 12/3) gauge extension cord. They pull a lot of juice!

I've had electric ( corded ) chain saws for several years as well as gas saws. My present one stared out as a 14" saw and I added an 18" bar and chain. I routinely cut pecan, elm, oak, hickory and whatever else comes my way. The saw does well and doesn't bother my neighbors with the noise. It is important to keep the chain sharp and not force the saw , just let it cut at a slower pace. I haven't used a battry saw thus far, but I can see the value in having one in the trunk of the car though.

If you are going to cut branches and such across the grain I'm sure that any electric or perhaps battery driven will work. Cutting with the grain as cutting out the pith is where the rubber meets the road. The Makita corded is a nice saw but with its thin chain it is not up to the vigors of daily cutting with the grain. This is where the big Stihl electric stands above the others. Using the same chains as it gas powered brothers the saw has the power to do most everything its gas powered brethren can do and do it easily. Yes this comes at a cost but if you want an indoor saw that does big work it does cost significantly more. I had 4 corded saws a Craftsman, a Husqvarna, a Makita and the big Stihl which I wrote an article on. I still have and use the Makita for normal stuff but the Stihl is what is used for heavy duty work.

I too have the 18" Worx corded electric chainsaw and have been completely satisfied with it. It doesn't get used every day
    or even every month, for that matter, but it has worked fine for the couple of years I've had it.