Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supermax 19/38 Extension Tables Hinged?

Supermax 19/38 Extension Tables Hinged?

I recently obtained a nearly new Supermax 19/38 with extension tables off Craigslist. The tables are strong and work as they should but they do not fold down, making for a super large footprint. Has anyone devised a way of hinging these tables? Even if it is complicated to set up it would be worth it to me to reduce the size. Pictures really help! Thanks

Bernie, post some pictures of your setup and maybe someone will have an idea or suggestion. I have a Woodmaster with infeed/outfeed rollers. I normally leave them off because they take up so much space.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Bernie, post some pictures of your setup and maybe someone will have an idea or suggestion. I have a Woodmaster with infeed/outfeed rollers. I normally leave them off because they take up so much space.
    The set up of these tables is such that pictures would be of minimal benefit. I have some ideas to make this happen but don't feel the need to "reinvent the wheel" if someone else has done it well already.

I was actually thinking of starting a thread asking how difficult it is to put those extension wings on and off. The crazy large footprint would be an issue for me as well but I would still like to be able to use the extension wings. I figured they didnt fold but had never read anyone comment on taking them on and off when needed. I was hoping I could just remove them and hang them on the sides of a custom built mobile stand.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have an older performax 16/32 with the indeed and outdated tables. I found that they take up a lot of room and they don't add anything to the functionality. I took them off.

Quote Originally Posted by John Cole View Post
    I have an older performax 16/32 with the infeed and outfeed tables. I found that they take up a lot of room and they don't add anything to the functionality. I took them off.
    fixed damed autocorrect.

The tables are not hard to get on and off, just time consuming. And they are not needed all the time ,but they do help with longer boards. So I will try to figure out some sort of hinge system and when I get something functional I will post it. In the meantime as I said I'm happy to use someone else's shared ideas.

I have the 25/50. I am pretty sure they are the same tables. I finally put mine on about a month ago. It was such a pain that I have not taken them off yet I will be watching this thread closely

I hope Supermax is watching!

My old Delta 18/36 DS had optional fold down tables.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

11. The new Supermax 16-32 has hinged extension tables you just push in 2 spring loaded buttons under each table and they drop down. I bought the Jet 16-32 instead (I got a better deal $901.00 Brand New w/ 5 yr Jet warranty and in/out feed tables included) but I sure would like to be able to put those SuperMax tables on it. If anyone does make that work please let us know!
    Last edited by Hank Mayberry; 11-11-2017 at 5:15 PM.

While you consider how to many them "hinged", consider having them go up, rather than down, so you can have a positive, level stopping point when they are folded out.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

13. Excellent point, my old Delta 13 inch planer has extensions and they work like that. Amazing that for long as they have been making drum sanders nobody offered it until Supermax finally did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    While you consider how to many them "hinged", consider having them go up, rather than down, so you can have a positive, level stopping point when they are folded out.
    While that's a a good consideration, the flip side is that if they fold up, you have to fold them down to use the sander. Which can be a bother when you're only doing some short stuff that doesn't need the extra length.

The folding wing thing is near and dear to my experience because my CMS (recently replaced with an SCMS) is on a planer cart with folding wings. Because of the space involved, I don't bring the wings up if I don't need to.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I found Supermax is now making these extension tables hinged: https://www.supermaxtools.com/wp-con...-inst.-ENG.pdf is the instruction page. Various sellers have these for $129 (seems like an awful lot!). Wonder if they will fit my ~2 year old unit...