Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Let's see your Neander Shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The problem with this is eventually with changes over time the links are broken and then there are no images in the post. For many that isn't a problem, but for some instructional posts, it can render them useless to future readers.

My recollection is SMC has a 1.4Mb limit to uploading image size. It may be necessary to run a copy of an image through an image handler to reduce the size before posting. My method is to take a screen shot of the image, my understanding is Windows can do that now, this allows for cropping and at least on my computer also makes a smaller file that can be uploaded without a problem.

All of my images in posts are hosted on SMC and even with a few glitches due to site software changes they have all been retained.

Bob Smalser has some great instructional posts. Many of his images are stored off of SMC. Many of them are no longer visible due to broken links.

jtk
    I have an account on imgur that should last as long as this form persists, but you do have to be wary of temporary image hosting (avoid photobucket at all costs).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Jordan View Post
    I have an account on imgur that should last as long as this form persists, but you do have to be wary of temporary image hosting (avoid photobucket at all costs).
    The problem may be if imgur changes their server or structure then it disappears from SMC.

It would be great if SMC could allow cutting and pasting images into a post.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    ..It would be great if SMC could allow cutting and pasting images into a post.
    jtk
    Actually, your browser would have to allow and implement the copy and paste. Before SMC could do anything with it.

I am more a hybrid woodworker than exclusively a neander. I decided to pick up the shop and share some pics. My shop is a two car garage 23’ deep by 20’ wide. I converted the standard garage door opening into a walk-in door and a roll up single car width door. This type of door allowed me to keep the 8’ ceiling and provide additional lighting where the typical door usually sits when open. Other highlights are the chop saw moveable cabinet with raiseable wings and dust control. I live near the ocean and rust is an issue, so I incorporated a Golden Rod device into the hand tool wall cabinet to control the rust which has been very successful. I keep the doors closed most of the time. I still need to build a base for my Parks 12 planer and want to replace the existing Kreg router table I am using with a more efficient cabinet. My dust collector is barely adequate at 1.5 horses but does the job. It happens to be made by JDS Tools. I used PVC and haven’t had any static electricity problems. I have a shed for wood supplies just outside the back door of the shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark R Webster; 07-14-2017 at 7:51 PM.

Very nice shop, well done.

Andy

Here are some more pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mark, that's really nice. I especially like the wood stored separately.

MW--very neat and tidy. Nice photos.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Thanks guys!

Blog Entries
    Beautiful shop Mark!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thanks Brian!

What a lovely shop Mark
    Really spacious and bright
    Looks to be productive and relaxing at the same time

Tomas

Thanks Tomas, It has been a long time coming for me and your right.... at least for me "productive and relaxing" . Perfect for my "working retirement". I had a shop all my working life but when I retired and moved to a new location it allowed me to get rid of what I never used and upgrade what I did use........start over and redesign.

Mark, what does your wood supplies shed look like?

Hi Matt, Inside or out? I will try to get some pics today for your if you like. The short answer is.. it was just one of those Tuff Sheds from home depot on a concrete slab. I added a little shelving on one side for lumber and slide-in and store sheet goods on the other. The inside is about 10 feet long. I try not to store much more than I use but you know how that goes. Here is an interim pic.
    Untitled.jpeg
    As I get older I can't remember what I have stored in which stacks, piles or in the backs of cabinets and deep drawers, so I try to only keep tools and wood that I actually use or will use. That is why my shop may look a little sparse. It drives me crazy to have to step around and over stuff and if you are in the middle of a larger project, for me, things get pretty crowded. I am fortunate that I have as much space as I have. My wife has been a good sport, allowing me to convert the garage into a shop Before I retired I had a lot more tools and wood. I had collected tools my whole life, even had a whole set of early Bedrocks less #1-2. I found many of the old tools just sat.. Over the years companies like Lie Nielsen and Lee Valley started making some great tools so I sold a lot off and reinvested in a smaller number of LN and LV quality/type tools. I still love the old stuff and enjoy restoring though.
    Last edited by Mark R Webster; 07-15-2017 at 12:22 PM.