Thread: Performax drum Sander

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nick.... I'm glad I'm not the only one that never could figure out how to use
    that tool.... Only took me a few tries to realize how to hold the spring back
    with a finger, and slip the end of the roll in ....
    Other than that, my 16-32 is a machine I wouldn't be without ....

I used to make sure I had the tool nearby during a paper change, but after a couple times without ever needing to pick it up and use it, mine is at the bottom of a box somewhere, just like Nick's.
    Chuck Taylor

I use the little tool, and then my fingers and then the tool again. Could probably get away without using it at all. Makes me covet a wide belt ... but then they have their own set of adjustment issues. I have a 22/44 I bought used, and it works great. Better than I expected it would.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I love mine.
    Its not a planer. You cannot expect it to remove lots of wood. The tracking is problematic, but if are patient and read the instructions, you can get it to track. It removes a minimal amount of wood each pass. Removing lots of wood causes it to trip. You can sand veneers. You can flatten inlays. For the one job it does, SANDING, I think no other tool that can do the job. Yeah bigger sanders can. You can get bigger ones, they are better. The paper changing is not a challenge as far as I'm concerned. Read the instructions. You can dimension sand very figured wood or chippy wood like curly maple and koa. It takes a really long time. But when the wood costs more than the sander, it's worth it. Good luck in your search.

I had the larger 22-44 and it was a very nice machine. (I wasn't really using it, so I sold it to gain back the space, but wasn't unhappy with the tool when I did make use of it)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

With the right expectations, it's great.

Don't expect it to be a planer or for it to leave a finish-ready surface. My main use is for cleaning up shop-sawn veneer, and it works great for that. It's also good for taking off material on highly figured woods, but don't expect it to be fast!

For certain woods, my planer will leave a rough surface - chips in the wood. The drum sander is great for finishing pieces like that (actually, it's not finish sanded but it's flat with no dings in the wood). I finish sand with hand sanders.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I bought a 22/44 way back when there were no Canadian suppliers. Brave lad I imported that machine from of all places the USA! Set it up properly and learn to use it for the best results and it is a great machine. Mine has paid for itself many times over. It isn't industrial. Use a coarse grit and spring passes and you will get terrific results. I give this machine a 10! Get one and understand that it is really like a handplane, you have to get a feel for it and keep it in tune.

Actually, I have two Performax sanders. I have a 16-32 and a 10-20. I bought the 10-20 new to finish CNC carved plaques, trivets, coasters and similar small items. I almost immediately traded an old Ridgid 6 inch jointer for the 16-32 and the sander was nearly new. I think the guy couldn't figure out how to adjust it. I am happy I have two machines. I need precise coplanarity. I keep 80 grit on the 16-32 and 150 grit on the 10-20. It cuts way down on finishing time on some items with a slim profit margin.

Thanks for all the info, purchased a used sander and very happy.

A bit late, but.... I bought a 22-44 about 10 years ago and like it a lot. It takes a ridiculous amount of space but it ti quite a bit beefier than the 16-32"
    Gary