Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Bench Build- A Video Documentary Thread

First Bench Build- A Video Documentary Thread

Hi!
    I am building my first work bench. It is an outdoor build, and the bench will remain outdoors; my shop will be my back yard. See this thread for more information.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?254745-Outdoor-bench-questions&highlight=

I have a new Youtube channel on hand tool wood working, focusing on my amateur status, where I'm documenting the build.
    This thread is intended to share that process through video. It will be a multi part series, and I will post each video as I shoot them. This will be warts and all; as little editing as possible, every mistake included. Hopefully as I learn, others can learn with me, and I can learn from my viewers and folk here.
    The first posting will actually be the second video in the series. The first one is cutting the boards to length; not too exciting, there.
    So, without further a-do.....

Thanks for sharing Mike. We like bench builds and I bet there is (collectively) a ton or two of warts in our own work. Don't never stop.
    David

Thanks, David. I love working with my hands, and I'm just starting in this. I'm in it for the long haul. Loads of fun!

I use my workmate quite often. It does a pretty good job for what it does. I liked how you put your foot on it to help with your planing efforts although it does show the advantage of a big heavy workbench like you will have when you are done.

Thanks, Pat. I have built around 10 guitars/basses on that Workmate. I've replaced the top 3 times. It has been a good friend, and taken a lot of abuse. But yeah, I need a real bench for what I'm going to be doing.
    BTW, it makes a great saw bench, and I will most likely use it for that purpose.

Hi, guys! Bench build is coming along. Here is the next installment.

Video 4

Mike, I've just watched your first 4 videos and wanted to say: "Thank you!" I admire that you have been willing to share your experience "warts and all" so we can learn from your experience. I'll be working through my first bench build effort later this year once and it has been a huge encouragement to see someone else doing this with just basic hand tools. Paul Sellers makes this look so effortless because he brings so much experience and skill to what he does. You have been an inspiration and I thank you.

Rush, thank you!
    That is one of the reasons I'm posting it, so that people who are new like me will see it, maybe see it can be done, and jump right in.
    As for Paul Sellers, I dearly love his attitude and his skill, but yeah, he's been working with hand tools for something like 50 years. I bet he could make woodworking with a sharpened spoon look effortless.
    Thanks for watching and for commenting.
    Much appreciated.

BTW, I see this is your first post. Welcome to Sawmill Creek. If you like woodworking, this is a great place. And there are several great gentlemen here with plenty of knowledge and a willingness to share.

Thanks, Mike. Yes, this is my first post. I've been lurking for awhile, but it was your post and your attitude that prompted me to join in the conversation.

Awesome. Keep posting!

Said it before, will say it again - hardest part of a bench build is to just get started. Mike has started and is on his way. Will it go quick? slow? difficult? easy? Who knows, but it has been started. Somehow, some time, it will be finished.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Said it before, will say it again - hardest part of a bench build is to just get started. Mike has started and is on his way. Will it go quick? slow? difficult? easy? Who knows, but it has been started. Somehow, some time, it will be finished.
    Boy, you said a mouthful there! It is going slower than expected, but faster than it might, if you take my meaning. Once I got started I realized it was going to take a while, but I'm pleased that it is going as quickly as it is.
    The top was the easy part, logistically. Simply plane the boards, laminate, and plane flat. I'm in the process of planning out the base now. Going to use a combination of half lap joints and mortise and tenon, I think. Should be fun.
    Last edited by Mike Baker 2; 06-22-2017 at 4:38 PM.

Hello folks! Here is the 5th installment. "Fine Tuning the Top"

Would like to thank everyone who watches and comments here.