Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Longer Receiving Forum Postings

Hi Aaron,
    I am still not receiving daily e-mail updates for forum activity. I can't seem to see anything wrong. I can go in and view forum activity, but am not receiving e-mail updates.
    Thanks,
    John

Hi Folks,
    I still have not been receiving any email content from subscriptions. I wish someone in control of the issue would please give us updates on any progress in solving this issue. I am feeling so isolated in never hearing anything other than it is new software, some software.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Emmerling View Post
    I am feeling so isolated in never hearing anything other than it is new software, some software.
    That is the answer to your question...SMC is going to migrate to new software which will solve that problem and a number of others. The task isn't trivial and care is being taken to insure it gets done in such a way that there are minimal technical issues when the site cuts over to Xenforo. It's understandable that the problem you are experiencing is frustrating for sure. My suggestion to you is to check in on a regular cadence and click on the "settings" link on the very top of the page to the right to get to the list of threads you are currently subscribed to that have changes. When you are done visiting the forum, click on "forum actions", just below the donate button near the top-center of the page and select "mark forums read" to keep things clean. Yes, it's a pain, but it works and will help you keep up with what you're interested in while the forum administrators deal with the migration task.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That is the answer to your question...SMC is going to migrate to new software which will solve that problem and a number of others. The task isn't trivial and care is being taken to insure it gets done in such a way that there are minimal technical issues when the site cuts over to Xenforo. It's understandable that the problem you are experiencing is frustrating for sure. My suggestion to you is to check in on a regular cadence and click on the "settings" link on the very top of the page to the right to get to the list of threads you are currently subscribed to that have changes. When you are done visiting the forum, click on "forum actions", just below the donate button near the top-center of the page and select "mark forums read" to keep things clean. Yes, it's a pain, but it works and will help you keep up with what you're interested in while the forum administrators deal with the migration task.

Jim
    Forum Moderator
    Thanks Jim, that is something at least. Hope things get better.
    Don

Don,

We are between a rock and a hard place concerning the latest problems we are experiencing from the last vBulletin upgrade. It appears that vBulletin may not be providing another Version 4 upgrade that will fix all of the problems the last one caused so we don't have a choice whether we will move to another software package. I should note that we purchased the new upgrade to vBulletin version 5 and it was a nightmare so that path is not an option for us.

If our Server Administrator spent the time to correct all of the problems and we continue using vBulletin we will be responsible to provide all programming changes in the future which is financially impossible. What he has done is to correct what he could in the short time span since the last upgrade and continue concentrating on the things he has to do to support our conversion to Xenforo. First on his list is the creation of a new banner advertising and management program, from there we have a lot of tech support threads that will need to be updated and the list of things to do goes on and on.....

We have been using vBulletin for almost fifteen years, you can imagine how many things we will need to address to move to a totally different software package.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Emmerling View Post
    Thanks Jim, that is something at least. Hope things get better.
    Don
    Don,

You should now start receiving Digest/Notification emails again. I have tracked down the problem in the vBulletin software and made a fix. Enjoy!
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Wahoo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Don, the forum site administrators are working on a solution for the various issues that have cropped up with the current forum software. You'll note that you are not the only one with challenges as there are various threads here in the Forum Help area. The solution that is being pursued is a conversion of SMC from the current, older vBulletin software to a different...and current...forum software that will actually enhance capabilities for community members. This is especially true for those who access via mobile devices as the new environment supports them natively. This conversion, however, entails a lot of work because of the size and complexity of the SMC community. Please be patient.

In the mean time and as an alternative to waiting for emails to let you know that someone has posted in a thread you are subscribed to, daily or at whatever interval you prefer, access SMC and click on the "settings" button in the upper right hand side of the page. That will bring you to a list of subscribed threads that have new postings in them.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

They got it fixed!!!!

I have reviewed my settings once again in order to verify that things have not changed with respect to the new software. Unfortunately, I am still not receiving e-mail notifications of new postings in my subscribed forums as of this date. Are you sure that the problem has been fixed? Are we on the new software or was the old software patched? If you are aware that we still have a problem, do we have an estimate yet of when this problem might be totally resolved? It is a lot easier to be patient, if we have some sort of best estimate of when this problem may be totally resolved. Thank you for any information that you can provide.

John,

Aaron reported that the problem was fixed and several people have confirmed.
    Are you sure that the problem isn't on your computer?

John,

mail.com has aggressive spam filtering. Fortunately, they have a whitelist feature.
    Try adding noreply@sawmillcreek.org to your whitelist.

Alternatively, you can use your gmail account, which now works.

For those with an AT&T mail provider, the problem is different.
    You can read more about it here:
    https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Inter...l/td-p/5205136

It affects anyone with email addresses ending in:
    att.net
    bellsouth.net
    flash.net
    nvbell.net
    pacbell.net
    prodigy.net
    sbcglobal.net
    snet.net
    swbell.net
    wans.net
    Unfortunately, they have not yet responded to our requests, and seem to have removed their blacklist management application without providing a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    John,

Aaron reported that the problem was fixed and several people have confirmed.
    Are you sure that the problem isn't on your computer?
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

For the record, I am having this issue as well. I checked my email server; the messages are not there at all and not going into the spam folder either.