Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sawstop from amazon

Sawstop from amazon

Just got my new SawStop from Warehouse Deals which is fulfilled by amazon.. I ordered a Saw that was listed as "Condition: Used - Acceptable Item will come repackaged"

It showed up with all but the main saw box still looking factory sealed. The main saw box was opened but repackaged with original foam and then secured to the pallet. Upon un-boxing I couldn't find the manual and I noticed that there where a couple deep-ish scuffs on the top near the right miter slot that were not more than an 1" long. I ran some 600 grit on a block over them to make sure there was no bur sticking up and downloaded the manual. Other than that seems like a new saw. Final bill was $2410.76 including tax. They delivered with a lift gate and pushed it right into my shop. Great experience for me, Of course your milage may very.

Cheers
    Boomer

SawStop PCS31230-TGP252 3-HP Professional Cabinet Saw Assembly with 52-Inch Professional T-Glide Fence System, Rails and Extension Table
    $2,274.30 | Qty : 1 | Sold by Warehouse Deals, Inc

I've had great lucky buying Amazon Warehouse deals. I've had several "used" items ship to me brand new, sealed in the box. I bought the SawStop Industrial base with PCS conversion kit used and save about 20%. When I received it, the box was all kinds of damaged and it was missing one of the smaller linkage arms, and both of the tie-down brackets. I called Amazon and they gave me an extra money off to not send it back since the posting said it was complete. I called SawStop to order the new parts and they offered to send to me for free. The base ended up costing $250 out the door and works just as good as new.

this thread got me looking on amazon at sawstops. well I never though would buy a sawstop but for the price was seeing so good had to pull the trigger. I bought a PCS31230-TGP252 3-HP Professional.

Great saws all around. Ive had my 5hp ics (called professional then) since 2006. Saved my thumb in 2014 - using the cartridge from 2006. Its an amazing saw. So glad i bought it.

I've had good luck with Amazon warehouse deals on tools, also. Bought a couple of "used" things from them and they were great.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have an Amazon Prime membership and use it for all kinds of things I never thought I'd buy online. I place hundreds of orders a year. I've had several items "delivered" but not to me. It's a very low percentage and nothing that I get upset about. I've also had some items that were damaged or wrong (shoes that didn't fit, for example).

In every single case Amazon has fully satisfied me. They give me a label to return things and I just set them on my porch for UPS. Before they even get it back they have a new one on the way to me.

There are never any questions or hassles.

The only thing to really be careful of is that a lot of "prime" items are more expensive than just going to a local store. The "free" shipping is built in. If you care about getting the best price then it pays to know what the going rate for something is before you assume Amazon Prime is going to give you the best price.

Anyway, I'm not a brand-loyal kind of person but I really like Amazon.

Wow. You guys got some great deals! Wish those were available when I bought mine.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Warehouse deals is a crapshoot. I'd say roughly 1 out of 4 things you buy from it is either misgraded, missing parts, severely broken, not the thing it's supposed to be, etc. Not only do they misgrade the items, but Warehouse Deals frequently grossly mispackages them, leading to them arriving broken even if they weren't broken when they started. I've bought several heavy or fragile things that were just tossed into a cardboard box with no protective packaging whatsoever.

I wouldn't use Warehouse Deals for large, expensive items like a table saw because (at least in the recent past) Amazon keeps records of returns and bans customers who return too much (in dollar terms).

So I completely disregarded my own advance and took a shot at getting a Sawstop Industrial from Amazon Warehouse Deals. It showed up today and it had minor cosmetic damage to the cabinet only. I don't think it had been sold before, which invites the quesiton of how Amazon got it in the first place. I think they're probably selling them on consignment or something. But naturally the saw was missing the rails, fence and table. $900 from Sawstop. I talked to Amazon and asked them if they'd give me a partial refund instead of returning the thing, and they told me to get lost. Great. I have some spare rails for a powermatic I could use, I guess. But the frankensaw would probably drive me nuts every time I looked at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Merritt View Post
    I've had great lucky buying Amazon Warehouse deals. I've had several "used" items ship to me brand new, sealed in the box. I bought the SawStop Industrial base with PCS conversion kit used and save about 20%. When I received it, the box was all kinds of damaged and it was missing one of the smaller linkage arms, and both of the tie-down brackets. I called Amazon and they gave me an extra money off to not send it back since the posting said it was complete. I called SawStop to order the new parts and they offered to send to me for free. The base ended up costing $250 out the door and works just as good as new.
    Oh, yeah, and when I talked to Amazon they assured me that they've never given anyone partial refunds on warehouse deals stuff, ever, and that anyone who says they got one was spreading false information. So stop spreading false information! Yeah, right.
    Last edited by Bob Bouis; 11-13-2017 at 1:34 PM.

I would call amazon back. They have alwice made good on the damaged warehouse deals I bought. Even got refund on big ticket item when was damaged with item staying in my shop.

Hey Bob

Sorry you got the short end

Where are you located? I still have the fence from the saw I bought. Its new in the box. I think shipping would be a pain but if you are with-in reach I could probably make you a deal.

Cheers
    Boomer

Cheers
    Brendan

Thanks for the offer, but the "Industrial" saw I got has a 30" deep table and therefore can't use the same rails and fence as the "Professional" models. Like I said I do have those powermatic rails from a PM2000. The cost of shipping rails makes them basically worthless if I wanted to try to sell them. So maybe that's not so bad. Naturally, though, the holes on the powermatic rails don't line up with the holes on the sawstop -- at all. I guess I only need to get one and then I can mark them through the holes. So it shouldn't be so bad.

As far as fences go, the PM 2000's fence and the Sawstop's are the same price when everything's taken into consideration, so why not grab another PM fence when they do the black friday sale. And of course I can make an extension table. Then I'm only out about $300 so I'll still have saved some money.

Oh, also, my initial impression of the saw is very positive. The top is extremely nicely ground. The exterior and accessories are a mixed bag, compared to the PM2000 I have already, but the guts of the sawstop seem to surpass it. So I don't regret getting the thing -- I guess. We'll see. I have until Jan 30 to return it.
    Last edited by Bob Bouis; 11-13-2017 at 6:44 PM.

Hmm.

The beautifully polished table I praised earlier has a nice lump between the right miter slot and the center of the blade. The diagonals are within the .010 spec but if you're referencing on the left side (which doesn't have the extension wing yet) across the center of the blade, you get > .02 gap on the far right of the extension table. I guess I could shim that but I'm not sure that'd help as it seems to be the high spot between the miter slot and the blade that's causing it.

If this was a used saw I'd sand that spot down a little. But on a new one that seems foolish. Is there some bolt that might be too tight or not tight enough that's causing this, I wonder?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
    Hmm.

The beautifully polished table I praised earlier has a nice lump between the right miter slot and the center of the blade. The diagonals are within the .010 spec but if you're referencing on the left side (which doesn't have the extension wing yet) across the center of the blade, you get > .02 gap on the far right of the extension table. I guess I could shim that but I'm not sure that'd help as it seems to be the high spot between the miter slot and the blade that's causing it.

If this was a used saw I'd sand that spot down a little. But on a new one that seems foolish. Is there some bolt that might be too tight or not tight enough that's causing this, I wonder?
    Would that not be a warranty issue? That much of a bulge wouldn't be acceptable to me.

I don't know how warranty claims would work on a Warehouse Deals junker. It could have been a return or it could have been sold by Amazon on consignment after being assembled from out-of-spec parts that people returned.

I said earlier that it was a high spot but I checked it more closely and it seems to be a dip on the right side of the miter slot + a sagging extension table. I assume that with proper assembly and shimming I could improve it significantly. Maybe I will. Or maybe I'll just send it back. Nice to have options, I guess. I certainly don't feel bad for Amazon if I do send it back.