Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ray Fine Cyclops 30W MOPA fiber laser

I'd be curious to see how the 50w compares to a 30w MOPA for dark marking stainless. I can get nice black marks with my 30w but for anything besides small text it's just not cost effective. It takes less time to deep mark than it takes to get a dark black mark. I would really like to see a graphic about 1" x 2" dark marked with a 50w and a 30w MOPA to see how they compare - time wise and quality of mark.

The nice thing about fiber machines is that they have unbelievably long mtbf numbers. You wouldn't really need to have any spare parts on hand, anything that fails would be a fluke and Murphy's Law would ensure you bought the wrong spares anyway... I have had one machine just over two years and the other just over one and have had zero problems with either one and have done no maintenance besides cleaning the dust that settles on them.

Just curious James - what part of the world are you from? In one of your posts you mentioned your township - that makes me think Northeast US?

Gary, I am from State College Pennsylvania. Right in the middle of the state and home to PSU. All of the townships here are very strict on home based businesses. I spent so much time away from my family running my machining business and tried to find without success acreage that would allow a residence as well as a business. We have horses as my wife's passion and needed at least 50 acres. All parcels that size would be zoned Agricultural and would not allow any other uses. I made enough money that I could sell and never need to work again but I really miss manufacturing. That's why I am pursuing this. The sale of the business required me to sign a 5 year non compete so any kind of machining is out with the exception unless I were to machine for the sale of my own products only. It would cost way to much to start another shop ( I had well over 1.5M in equipment and tooling in the old shop) and I want to be here at home anyway where my wife and kids are. I am 54 but my kids are 9 & 12. I was much of them growing up. I was really lost for a while because that shop was my life for 30 years so I think that this is just some form of replacement.

4. James,
    Visit thingsremembered.com You can get idea of what you can engrave and sell as personalized gift items. I have a similar business and I sell keychains, money clips, business card holders, zippos, knives etc... I do get alot of multi quantities order because I target weddings. Marketing towards groomsmen gifts, church group gifts etc.

Quote Originally Posted by James Walker View Post
    Thank You Gary. Your post has been very helpful. I put a request in to Ray Fine and told them what I wanted to do and they suggested a 30W MOPA with a 150 x 150w optic lens. They provided pictures of samples of just what I proposed to do. They quoted only $8200.00 with rotary, 2 year warranty, delivery to my door excluding customs. The other guy pushing for the 3D had me at $32,000.00. For that much difference in price I think I will buy the Ray Fine and add on a 110 x 110mm lens to experiment with. I will also then have the benefit of rotary with this where as the USA guy was not including a rotary in his quote. Again Thank You for your help.
    was the quote for 30W M1+ or M6+? I got a quote today 30W M6+ JPT source, galvotech scanhead, rotary, DHL Express $9850

Anthony that quote was for the JPT 30W M1 with rotary shipped to my door DHL. I added autofocus and cyclops camera which brought the quote up.

I just asked more questions and found out M1 vs M6 will not be worth the $1500 different. Basically, the M6 has more narrow pulse for sensitive materials like plastic. I dont mark plastic so I won't be needing that. How do you like your autofocus and cyclops camera? The only concern here is the JPT laser source. I've heard of all western sources, raycus and maxphotonics in China but never heard of JPT. Raycus is stable, maxphotonics is not as good. That's about it.

Someone mentioned marking on curved surfaces like bracelet tags, etc. The way I do that is "split text" and "mark selected" so I would get a line of text in and then split text. After that I select the middle letters..focus..mark...select 2 letters out..refocus..mark. It takes longer but I get them perfect everytime. Now that's with text. I haven't figured out a way to split image or vector files. If I mark image I would set parameters to a bit lower than I need, then run a few passes, then refocus for the outer area (the inner area will then be out of focus) and run a few more passes.

Anthony I do not have the machine yet. I am paying the deposit today. I chose the M1 for the same reason that you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Nguyen View Post
    I just asked more questions and found out M1 vs M6 will not be worth the $1500 different. Basically, the M6 has more narrow pulse for sensitive materials like plastic. I dont mark plastic so I won't be needing that. How do you like your autofocus and cyclops camera? The only concern here is the JPT laser source. I've heard of all western sources, raycus and maxphotonics in China but never heard of JPT. Raycus is stable, maxphotonics is not as good. That's about it.

Someone mentioned marking on curved surfaces like bracelet tags, etc. The way I do that is "split text" and "mark selected" so I would get a line of text in and then split text. After that I select the middle letters..focus..mark...select 2 letters out..refocus..mark. It takes longer but I get them perfect everytime. Now that's with text. I haven't figured out a way to split image or vector files. If I mark image I would set parameters to a bit lower than I need, then run a few passes, then refocus for the outer area (the inner area will then be out of focus) and run a few more passes.

BUMP. I am about to purchase through Rayfine as well, and their laser source is JPT, which I have never heard of.

Also, could someone write up a quick post on what forms I need to import this thing into the U.S.? I have absolutely no idea about the process, and any help is appreciated. Matter of fact, beyond the forms, anything else?
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

Blog Entries
    For a fiber being air freight delivered,, FedEx, DHL, you don't have much to do. Pay for machine, usually bank transfer to the Maker's bank via wire transfer. Once machine is shipping, you need the ascension number that is assigned to the manufacturer by US FDA. And you will be asked by DHL or FedEx to complete the form. Model number and ascension number are main things on it. Pay the shipper once they invoice you for the fees and the US customs duty and FDA inspection fee. Laser delivered and then you are ready to work!
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

To MOPA or Q-Switched, that is the question! I'm having a tough time with this decision and it's costing me time! There's a $3,000 difference between the two 30 watt lasers, and I simply can't make the decision. Bottom line guys, is the MOPA worth it?
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

I have the MaxPhotonics and am so far VERY happy with it. As to your choices, from my research I would lean to the Q-switch, but what I'm doing with it and what you plan to may be very different.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

everything I've read (which ain't a whole lot and not exactly English so take this FWIW) about Q-switching refers to YAG lasers-- even in the EZcad parameters, anything to do with Q-switching is grayed-out until you choose to edit YAG settings... So I'm not exactly sure if these machines are Q-switched or not...?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle