Thread: Laguna 14bx worth the extra over the 1412

Laguna 14bx worth the extra over the 1412

As the title says. There is about a 300$ difference. Is it worth the extra 300$ over the 1412? To add to that is the 2.25hp a must for the 14bx?

Simple answer IMO yes. If you have 240v then the 2.5hp motor can come in handy if you are resawing near the 12" max. The BX also has a foot brake which along is worth the money to me, not only does it save time but you can cut the motor and stop the blade hands free.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

"worth it" is always a weird question since it's relative and in this case, $300 could be a ton of money to you or it could be pocket change. That being said, I have a 14bx and I love it. The lady brake is very convenient and the 220v motor won't stall and cuts anything with the resaw king blade. But it doesn't do anything the 1412 won't do so it's mainly a decision of convenience 😊

I would say yes, but if you are spending $1400 I would consider the 17 inch Grizzly. I like it better than the Laguna, although the Laguna is a fine saw. Also, $1500 buys a lot of used band saw. I have seen Minimax and other high end saws sell for this kind of money. There is a 36 inch band saw at $1500 negotiable in fantastic shape on the Columbus Craigslist (not that a 36 inch band saw would be practical for the OP).

Also have seen Laguna 18 inch Italian saws sell used for $1500-$2000. MUCH nicer option than the 14 BX IMHO.

$1500 can buy (literally) a metric crap ton of options in the used band saw market if one is careful.

Thanks for the reply. The only reason I am considering the 14bx is because of the brake (which the 1412 doesn't have). I plan to mainly use it for resawing, but I'm not a professional so I figured I had the time to wait, but the rigid body and the brake make it enticing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    I would say yes, but if you are spending $1400 I would consider the 17 inch Grizzly. I like it better than the Laguna, although the Laguna is a fine saw. Also, $1500 buys a lot of used band saw. I have seen Minimax and other high end saws sell for this kind of money. There is a 36 inch band saw at $1500 negotiable in fantastic shape on the Columbus Craigslist (not that a 36 inch band saw would be practical for the OP).

Also have seen Laguna 18 inch Italian saws sell used for $1500-$2000. MUCH nicer option than the 14 BX IMHO.

$1500 can buy (literally) a metric crap ton of options in the used band saw market if one is careful.
    I've been looking for the past 3 months for bandsaws in about a 150 mile radius and I can't find anything worth anything. The ones I do find are old busted to hell, really small ones or really big ones (20"+ that I don't have room for) or have sold.

I wish I could find one used, but can't seem to find anything worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Vasko View Post
    I've been looking for the past 3 months for bandsaws in about a 150 mile radius and I can't find anything worth anything. The ones I do find are old busted to hell, really small ones or really big ones (20"+ that I don't have room for) or have sold.

I wish I could find one used, but can't seem to find anything worthwhile.
    I can relate....I have seen a lot of junk for sale also. My best purchases have come through letting other woodworkers know I am looking for a tool. I have zero desire to buy abused equipment that is rusting in someones storage unit unless it is priced at near scrap value and I know I can repair it.

The 14 BX is a really, really sweet saw. I really hope one ends up in your work shop.

I love the 1412 but if the 14 BX had been available at the time, I would have bought it without hesitation. More horsepower, the brake, different base.

Old thread but I am about to sell my 1412 and buy the 14bx. Have a friend coming to look at it tomorrow. Thought seriously about keeping 1412 and buying larger saw for serious resawing. Space is precious however and I don’t mind changing blades. The difference between the two saws is well worth the 350.00 price differential. All my blades, Carter stabilizer, and wheel kit will fit the 14bx. And I do like the guides. As an aside Woodcraft mgr said today Laguna will not be affected by looming tariff unlike Grizzly and Rikon. He said they were stockpiling Rikon machines. Should be interesting to see what happens. Haven’t posted in a while but I really appreciate all the bandsaw wisdom that has been posted over the years. So thanks to all you bandsaw experts😊

Quote Originally Posted by David Sloan View Post
    As an aside Woodcraft mgr said today Laguna will not be affected by looming tariff unlike Grizzly and Rikon. He said they were stockpiling Rikon machines.
    He is right about Laguna, all their bandsaws are made in either Taiwan or Europe and Rikon all of which are made in Qingdoa China (so subject to the new tariffs) . He is wrong however about Grizzly, the only Grizzly bandsaws made in China are their little sub 14" saw(s?) the rest are made in Taiwan.

I think you will enjoy your new saw!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    He is right about Laguna, all their bandsaws are made in either Taiwan or Europe and Rikon all of which are made in Qingdoa China (so subject to the new tariffs) . He is wrong however about Grizzly, the only Grizzly bandsaws made in China are their little sub 14" saw(s?) the rest are made in Taiwan.

I think you will enjoy your new saw!
    Thanks for that info. While there isn't a BIG difference I will choose Taiwan over China. Sure would be nice if something in the price range was made elsewhere.