Thread: Veritas fluted dowel plate?

Veritas fluted dowel plate?

Guys I got this from a friend in a lot of tools and can't find anything on the Veritas website about it does anyone have one and could share the literature that comes with it?? Thanks Pat
    veritas plate.jpg

Blog Entries
    It looks like something to treat dowels before gluing to allow the glue to squeeze out. It is likely a discontinued product.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm gonna wait for the movie!! Really not much to it ,just drive em through to slim enough to go in without splitting the wood. All the old guys I worked with made their own and I made one. We just drilled holes and used a big countersink to champher the holes a bit. Scrap metal plates we used were sometimes an inch thick. I don't see any advantage to the flutes over smooth.

Blog Entries
    Looks like another April 1 innovation to me.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Looks like another April 1 innovation to me.
    I totally realize this is as basic as it gets but wanted to see how Veritas suggested mounting and using it. I'm thinking a piece of 6/4 oak with holes drilled where the dowels go thru and secured thru the two corner recessed holes.

Blog Entries
    Why not just place it over a dog hole in a work bench and pound the wood piece through it?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I ordered Woodpeckers Dowel Press Die Set, it has fluted ones too! Ordered because of this and because there are slightly over sized ones for two step finish... and because I do not know if need it but idea was pleasing.

My bench at the moment doesn't have any. I have been spanning it between my end vise jaws.

While I love the Woodpecker tools I have this is just a tool I got as a throw in. I usually just buy dowels but wanted to be able to use it the way that Veritas had designed it. The WP version is WAY too over the top for my little shop. Thanks for showing it to me. Pat