Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A thread to post your favorite WWing videos

I was thinking the same thing.... looks like a business write off

Love the addons for his work station.... anyone seen more detail on this????

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Will someone please explain to me how these young guys are able to buy all those Festools?

I mean really. Watching some of these videos with a guy who is maybe 30 and he has a stack of Festool sustainers taller than he is, is starting to get to me.
    I think there are a lot of potential factors (not sure which apply to Timothy)

1. Timothy is in Belgium and tradesmen get paid MUCH better in the EU than the US and he is a full time woodworker
    2. Some youtube content creators are sponsored by tool manufacturers
    3. he IS young, I remember one of my law school profs telling us we had more disposable income then than we would in 20 years, while I can't say it was an objective fact I certainly found out what he meant, with age may come money but it also comes with an ever increasing set of responsibilities
    4. simply priorities
    5. in the EU they don't have a lot of cheap tools available, even the mid-level brands we get as disposable prices (Dewalt, Milwaukee etc) are more expensive there where Festool is less expensive there than here, Festool in the EU is kinda like Dewalt here, you see lots of yellow in tradesmen's trailers here, you see a lot of green in their vans there.

While I have no idea about Timothy there are content creators in the woodworking/DIY arena making $10K a month (and more) on this "side hustle". I have discussions with some in my peer group and hear the "these millennials..." my response is often "yeah some of these lazy kids are making more money than you are" Mr. 9-5.

Another while I am here: Seth Roland If anyone is interested FWW did a little piece on the ash "fan table" a few years back it described the technique. FYI just looked it up it is August 2010 #213

Last edited by Van Huskey; 03-26-2017 at 9:56 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

An old Jory Brigham vid

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

The BenchWork video is impressive. The organization and cleanliness of his shop and efficiency of his processes indicate to me he has incorporated some lean manufacturing workflow and 5 S principles into his business. The lack of clutter, everything in it's place, even the labeling of the fastener drawer compartments for easy identification show he has been striving for the lean goal of continuous improvement. I like the simple boom he created for his d/c hose and the long horizontal slot in the front of the workbench for quickly clamping work pieces. Lots of inspiration here, thanks for sharing the video and starting the thread.
    Last edited by Jon Grider; 04-06-2017 at 8:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Grider View Post
    The BenchWork video is impressive. The organization and cleanliness of his shop and efficiency of his processes indicate to me he has incorporated some lean manufacturing workflow and 5 S principles into his business. The lack of clutter, everything in it's place, even the labeling of the fastener drawer compartments for easy identification show he has been striving for the lean goal of continuous improvement. I like the simple boom he created for his d/c hose and the long horizontal slot in the front of the workbench for quickly clamping work pieces. Lots of inspiration here, thanks for sharing the video and starting the thread.
    I have yet to decide if buying Festool brings out OCD in regards to shop organization or if people with shop OCD gravitate to Festool...

One of my favorite workbench vids, while it is in German you can glean a lot of ideas and the plans are available from the German Magazine. BTW the magazines channel has a lot of interesting videos.

I love watching this craftsman

Last edited by Michael Rector; 04-06-2017 at 7:43 PM.

Northfield tour

I'm 32 and have a collection of Festool that's taller than I'm along with powermatic, sawstop, jet and Oneida tools. I use my tools for hobby use and make no money off of it. I'm sure I'm not the only one either, so what about it that's getting to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Will someone please explain to me how these young guys are able to buy all those Festools?

I mean really. Watching some of these videos with a guy who is maybe 30 and he has a stack of Festool sustainers taller than he is, is starting to get to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSM7Jrg34a8

Bob Vaughan in a classic 1994 video on how to actually setup a planer. It has saved me a LOT of headaches over the years.

One of my favorite woodworking videos because it helped me out!

This is a series of videos, by a shipwright, about building a skiff who is a great woodworker. The series takes you through the whole construction. I really enjoyed it.
    -Howard

Here's one where a guy demonstrates his method of compound cutting a cabriole leg on the bandsaw, and what he does is partial cuts so he doesn't have to take the time to tape back the offcuts, which is the way I have always done it. As fate would have it I'm in the middle of building a table with compound curved legs, tried his method and it worked like a charm, saved me a bunch of time and hassle taping back off cuts, breaking up my rhythm at the bandsaw.

Not the most professionally produced or photographed video, but it gave me a technique that made me a better woodworker, so thumbs up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c6s...ature=youtu.be

Anything with Charles Neil in it

Just about any video made by Jimmy Diresta. A search for his name brings up more than can be watched. He seems to have hundreds of videos on YouTube. Mostly woodworking or woodworking related, but he is a master at combining wood and metal in some of his projects. One of his shops was in the basement with a stairway that opened to the sidewalk in the city. He is from NY so probably this shop was in NYC where everything made as well as his materials had to go up and down through metal sidewalk doors to or from a double parked truck.

Charley

He has his NYC spot but also some beautiful acreage upstate with an enormous shop.

Crazy talented. Totally agree- his videos are well done.