Thread: Hinge Question

Hinge Question

I've built a pair of Murphy style bunk beds. The support legs are attached to the boxes using 3/4" X 2" hinges. All that works fine. I then attached ladders with one side connected to a support leg and the other side also using hinges to the boxes. I am having trouble visualizing why these other hinges do not work. The are 1/2" by 3/4" and rather than just hinge they also bend. I am guessing I need to use 3/4" X 3/4" to match the other hinges but I don't understand why. Can someone explain why or tell me I am chasing a red herring? Thanks.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Can you post a pic? or a drawing? I'm not understanding how the hinges relate to each other-- or even what type of hinge you are using.

I'll try to get one but I think I see what is happening. The smaller hinges (1/2") have a much small diameter pin than the 3/4" ones. It appears to me that because of the diameter difference the hinges do not close at the same rate so the smaller ones bend.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.