Thread: Another bandsaw question

Another bandsaw question

It seems that SMC is a great resource for all bandsaw matters. I'm amazed at the depth of knowledge. I am planning a large band saw purchase and ran across this Italian saw dating from the 80's.

I'm no expert but it seems to be in good shape but I covet the forum's opinions. If something like this does not work I'm inclined to go for something like a MM16. So I'm looking for a long term saw and since I'm 65 I don't have a real long term.

Any my way here are some pictures --- what do you think?
    Dad

IMG_0108.JPGIMG_0109.JPGIMG_0110.JPGIMG_0114.jpgIMG_0107.JPG

You don't see may SIPAs in the US. I am guessing by looks it is a 450 (18") but maybe a 500. It is a fairly lightweight saw as Italians go, reminds me of that era's Meber saws but looking at the table it might be an ACM. In any event it is built a lot like the Minimax SN45 from that time in robustness. The only thing you may not like is the guides with the solid blocks but Carter probably makes a retrofit. It certainly isn't built like the MM series built by Centauro but it is a solid little saw. I can't read the horsepower on the plate (CV =chevel-vapeur, while it doesn't equal HP exactly it is close enough to not bother converting, I think it is like 10 watts less per CV than HP).

What do they want for it, probably should be in the $600-700 range.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I think either 1.5 or 4.5 on the CAV block. Owner has it on a 20amp 220 breaker.

i can't figure out the guides - never seen them before. Are they a real problem?

He says it's an 18. 11 1/2 re saw and 18.5 blade to column. Would it properly tension a 1" resaw blade?

Thank you for the help. I had no idea if it is a good saw. I will check with Carter on the guides. Any other sources for euro guides?

Dan

The 1.5 or 4.5 was what I was unable to be sure of, 1.5hp would not be unusual on a saw like that but 4.5hp would almost certainly be a remotor.

The guides have the large thrust bearing and then two solid metal blocks for the side guides, some work really well and some are a pain to setup. This system was used on many large old iron saws and Wright, Champion, Carter, Newell, Progress et al used them. Again some are a pain and some work just fine, I haven't ever seen these in person so I have no clue.

It depends on which 1" blade we are talking about. A 1" carbon blade should be no problem, a 1" Trimaster or Woodmaster CT will probably be too much to get "proper" tension, they push the limits of a MM16/20. You could likely get adequate tension on a thinner gauge 1" carbide blade like the Resaw King but even that will likely be at the low end of acceptable. I would personally buy a 3/4" unless I could verify the tension ability beforehand.

Carter doesn't sell a Euro guide but may have others that will work. I suggest playing with the guides in person and see what you think, the cost of retrofitting guides on that saw may not be palatable for an owner.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Where would you put this saw in hierarchy with current saws? I've considered a Hammer N4400 and the MM16 but then I read much about saws (Chinese) that people are very happy with. I have a Walker Turner 16.Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan T Jones View Post
    Where would you put this saw in hierarchy with current saws? I've considered a Hammer N4400 and the MM16 but then I read much about saws (Chinese) that people are very happy with. I have a Walker Turner 16.Dan
    The build weight is going to be similar to the N4400 but without a brake I put it a notch down. It would probably retail for about $2200 today but would come with standard Euro guides. Honestly, it wouldn't be a huge jump over the WT. If you are looking for bandsaw to mainly resaw with I would hold out for something heavier in the used market or just get the MM16 which is the best of the smaller mid-sized steel bandsaws for resawing. You can get an idea of capacity and how people use this by reading about the Minimax S45 from the same era, if the SIPA is in good condition it should be similar and make someone a very good saw as long as they don't expect it do more than it was built for. It was built before hobbyists fell in love with resaw capacity and wold have been bought for lighter duty in commercial use.