Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gave the jointer/planer a serious workout today. Bench Project

I had 1500sqft 50 feet away, just moved into a section of a 40k sqft building this past may. I am looking into purchasing the entire building in the near future.

Nice work. What model of felder j/p do you have? I am about to finalize an order on one.

I dont have it like that. I wish kinda but then i would have to be busy enough to afford it so maybe not.

I can make due with 2K sq ft but im sure even that will get cramped. Need 500 sq ft just for stuff on the way outvthe door.. Not all the time but when you need it you need it..

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I had 1500sqft 50 feet away, just moved into a section of a 40k sqft building this past may. I am looking into purchasing the entire building in the near future.

AD941

If you can afford it dont get a combo machine.

I dont have the space to spare but if i could do it again i would purchase separates and find the room.

Jointer/planer combo machines are not a match made in heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by David DeYoung View Post
    Nice work. What model of felder j/p do you have? I am about to finalize an order on one.

Patrick, am sure you already know about cauls but I have the same issue as you - hate buying expensive clamps as I also only buy Bessey. I invested in a set of Bowclamps a while back and they are very effective for straight laminations, For the legs I could get by with 2 clamps plus a long Bowclamp either side.

Yes i do.

I think im just being overly cautious with the glueing of this build. I have never laminated so much lumber for one project in my life.

Being the nature of a bench and the heavy use it sees i want to assure i have no issues down the road hence going clamp crazy.

Actually what it really is if i see a hint of a glue line it will drive me crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Patrick, am sure you already know about cauls but I have the same issue as you - hate buying expensive clamps as I also only buy Bessey. I invested in a set of Bowclamps a while back and they are very effective for straight laminations, For the legs I could get by with 2 clamps plus a long Bowclamp either side.

Blog Entries
    Man, I wish I had the room in my shop to take on a nice workbench project like that. I have no more usable floor space left, but then I only have 350 sf to start with. I love working with ash, inexpensive, nice grain, stable, hard. I have exactly 4 of the big Bessys and it gets me by, not saying I wouldn't like another four of them though. Often they are too big for the task, my most frequently used ones are four 12" Pony F clamps. Can't beat the Bessys for glue ups though.

Were you able to get by milling 300 bf of lumber without filling up your barrel and filter? I probably would have been too engrossed in the process to remember to check my small barrel. Do love the milling process. How are you planning on flattening the bench top?

Keep the workbench story coming. I wish more folks would take the time to photograph and write up their project for the rest of us to drool over. I like to document my larger projects on the forum with pictures, sure I like comments, but more so just to go back a year or two later and revisit the story of that build.
    NOW you tell me...

Always love seeing work bench builds, it motivates me to someday build one for myself. I'm also like you where I can't stand a messy shop, but I'm too lazy to clean up after each day. I ended up getting a roomba vacuum and would let it roam around at night to do the cleaning. I would either brush or blow off any saw dust from surfaces onto the floor and call it a night. Next morning, the shop is nice and clean.

Glad people enjoy following along. I know many threads like this inspire me along my path. Brian, Derek and numerous others have put and continue to put the bug in me to push myself to attempt and achieve task i would think way over my head. One hour, one day, one weekend, a month, then months into years forward progress is made.

I am light years from being the craftsman i expect of myself but that is good as it keeps me interested.

I will use my combo machine to joint and plane the top to dimension and near flateness. I will start by jointing two sides flat then planing all my stock to the same exact thickness on all 4 sides. When that is done I will glue the laminations only two boards at a time till i have two laminations comprised of six boards each. I have twelve boards that comprise
    the top. I will re edge joint all matting surfaces between glue sessions and before each glue up. When i get the two six board laminations i will then again joint two edges of each followed by thickness one last time through the machine. Now with two near perfect laminations i will glue them together.

I will then flatten the bottom of the slab with winding sticks and a #7. When that is done ill chop the morise attache the top to the base and hand flatten the top the same as the bottom.

With my machine it should move right along.

I have extension tables for my jointer that make my tables effectively 14' give or take. It makes working with 9' stock a snap.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

QUOTE=Ole Anderson;2652033]Man, I wish I had the room in my shop to take on a nice workbench project like that. I have no more usable floor space left, but then I only have 350 sf to start with. I love working with ash, inexpensive, nice grain, stable, hard. I have exactly 4 of the big Bessys and it gets me by, not saying I wouldn't like another four of them though. Often they are too big for the task, my most frequently used ones are four 12" Pony F clamps. Can't beat the Bessys for glue ups though.

Were you able to get by milling 300 bf of lumber without filling up your barrel and filter? I probably would have been too engrossed in the process to remember to check my small barrel. Do love the milling process. How are you planning on flattening the bench top?

Keep the workbench story coming. I wish more folks would take the time to photograph and write up their project for the rest of us to drool over. I like to document my larger projects on the forum with pictures, sure I like comments, but more so just to go back a year or two later and revisit the story of that build.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 01-27-2017 at 1:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Haha 5500 sq ft.

I wish!

I have 1000sq ft and would kill for 2000sg ft.

Once a week is enough if you can spread out in a shop. Not so much in tight quarters or on sight.

Man 5500 sq ft.

I really really dont want to pay rent for a shop. I also dont want to have to take more than maybe 50 steps max to get to my shop.

Long term i hope to purchase the property next to me. Its a two family home commercially zoned. I would like to tear it down. My plan would be rip it down and construct it as a two family townhouse but with a massive first floor wide open space i could use as a shop. Say a two car garage two bays wide by eight deep. Maybe i have to put a wall up and seperate it from the other six bays so it is actaully legal living space. Imwould just put a double french dor in so i can get machines through. I could then Sell the unit beside it to pay for the whole project and rent the appartment above my shop for $2500-3000 easy in my neighborhood.

Still thats a dream and i really need more space.
    You got nice junk!

I went from 9000 down to 900, so I am having to learn to be more conservative with space. Don't like it, but I do have a 2400 foot building up and will turn it into the shop as money permits. Keep thinking about borrowing $20K and just getting it done but I am debt free and its is nice, so I just keep slugging along in my garage. The garage will be my finish area when the new shop is done.

Have fun. I also enjoy watching the wood come alive when prepping stock. I also have less and less patience with site work, but I thought it was just old age.

I made a little progress on the bench today.

I was able to get the last two pieces of the leg laminations glued up for the legs. Tomorrow i will be able to glue these two piece laminations to the solid stock that will be the face of my second two legs amd they will be done.

These laminations were a simple two board glue up and i did not take pictures. Maybe 4-5" x 2.875 ish..

After that i decided to edge and face joint the. thickness the two legs i glued up yesterday. I was very happy to get the legs to finish just under 5.75" x 10.875 for the chop side and the tail vise side to finish 5.75x 9.875. I may continue to plane the tail vise side legs down to 8" x 5.75"?

First over the machine..
    image.jpg

.image.jpg

then under..

image.jpg

The finished product. Sometimes i love this machine, sometimes hate it! Today i was pretty impressed.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Tomorrow i hope to get the last of the leg laminations taken care of. Sunday i could layout all the mortise and tenon and maybe get one or the other done. Remeber i wanna get the back panel for my case done also. We will see, not football so?
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 01-27-2017 at 10:10 PM.

Oh yeah i forgot. I have a question for those who use handtools and have been through the building of a bench.

I have a small problem. I have known of the problem for some time. In the pictures bellow my bench will go to the left of the bench that is my mitersaw station and where all the new windows are being stored.

The problem is the cement pad poured up against the wall. The pad is 4" high and about 28" deep.

So whats the problem, well its two fold. The wall behind the bench that is now cement will be furred out and laminated with you guesses it probably BEM. If not it will be more pine or possibly stainless steel laminate. In doing so my 28" of depth will become more like 26" effectively pushing my bench off the edge.

My original plan was to just cut sections of the pad out with a masonry saw and index my legs into the pad. I have since rethough that approach as i get a slight amount of water through the foundation in this area. Prior to laminating this area of wall i will dig out any cracks and fill them with hydrolic cemenet. I will then seal the whole foundation 2' out onto the floor and to the ceiling with a rubber foundation water sealing membrain. I will then furr my wall out over that.

So now my plan is to pour the slab out two more inches as to be able to fit my bech atop it perfectly.

So whats my question and whats my problem you might ask.

I want my bench to finish at 34" high. Having now decided to pour out the foundation if i build my bench 34" high it will actually sit 38" high. This imop is way to high. So i am considering making my bench 32" high effectively giving me a bench height of 36". I know many build their benches 36" but I prefer a lower bench. I am barely 5'-10" and there was a 34" high bench here prior and i loved it.

Some will suggest i find another spot for the bench. The bench is going in this spot. Its that simple. So should i make it 34" and have a total working height of 38". Or should i go 32" with a finished working height of 36". I am even considering going 30-31" to get closer to my desired 34" finished working height.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Not equipped to answer your last question, but OMG!!! Are those Festool storage areas pull out for easy access? Beyond jealous. Mine sit on the floor and take up space. I wish I had the space for those. I'm cramped at about 800 sq feet.

Beautiful workbench, so far. Nice work. And I couldn't agree more about having separates instead of a jointer/planar. I would buy separates in a heartbeat if I had room.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Yes they are, ill try to remember to take a picture of them exteneded later.

And i dont have the space for this either. Really the whole thing should be a UG cart and i should have another shaper where this is or a sliding table saw.

What do they say about hindsight?

Nice and very exciting work Patrick! I love building benches, especially big ones.

Now, material selection is of course personal but you mentioned ebony for pegs and dogs. I would encourage you to look at a couple domestics, especially for draw bored pegs. White oak makes great pegs and the end grain is beautiful!

I've started making my own pegs by bandsawing along the grain then making the blank into an octagon. I wax then put them in the oven on low for an hour to super dry, then put them in a ziplock if not using right away.

I don't have much experience with ebony but it's my understanding that it's a little brittle which doesn't seem like the best quality in a peg. Of course I don't think I'd get past the expense of using that much ebony!

Are you using white or black ash?