Thread: Gave the jointer/planer a serious workout today. Bench Project

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gave the jointer/planer a serious workout today. Bench Project

I purchased this lumber about a year ago now. Life got busy, it still is but its time i make time to get this done.

I am currently building a bunch of kitchen cabinets and a number of vanities for a client. He can be a bit slow with CAD drawings so i have had a down day here and there. I have also been building a hand tool chest. For a number of reasons the hand tool project also waxes and wanes. Mostly due to the preperation of my stock and not wanting to rush dimensioning lumber i wont use for a number of weeks or in my case maybe months if all the sudden work takes over my life again.

Im kinda hoping that the two projects if i plan well will allow me to always have something i can get done resulting in as little down time as possible. Im sure as soon as the CAD drawings for work come through both these projects will take a back seat.

So today i picked through nearly 300bf of 12/4 ash that had been sitting in my shop for the past year. I sorted out exact boards for the top, stretchers, legs and chop. I then got the first and worst of maybe three milling session for the legs and stretchers taken care of. Ill start milling the top only after the base is built.

The bench will be 108"L x 28"w x 34"h. The front or left legs and chop will be 9-10"w x 6" thick. The right and back right leg will be 6x6" or 8x6". I have and am using all BenchCrafted hardware, leg and tale vise. I will make square dogs out of ebony and a dovetailed breadboard end also hopefully ebony. Well maybe ebony laminated around ash but something so the tale really pops.

I have yet to decide if i will do the classic Roubo double tennon or just a solid top. Either way ill do a double tennon you will just never know it. Im inclined to skip the through tennon as i dont really want to deal with seasonal wood movement. Im kinda perfectionist and it has the potential to drive me nuts. On the other hand i always thought i would do the through tennon. For whatever reason im kinda not feeling now. Between wood movement and then it being all sloppy and just feeling it will make the top to busy i think im gonna skip it. The base will be draw bore construction. Again maybe ebony pegs?

Anyway pictures, what good is a post without pictures. They are not very interesting yet but they are pictures.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 01-24-2017 at 9:50 PM.