Thread: Walnut kitchen table

Walnut kitchen table

I finally completed and installed the table I've been working on for far too long. It's all walnut, with a trestle-style base and a natural edge. The top is 6/4 thick, about 6 feet long, with the width ranging from about 44 inches to 50 inches. The leg assemblies are pinned M&T joints, while the stretchers are attached with half-laps. It's hard to tell in the photos, but the middle pieces on the top are book-matched, while the next two pieces are very close to matching; the outer two not as much. The finish is Seal-A-Cell followed by Arm-R-Seal, all hand-applied.

I'm not making any chairs, by the way. The ones we have are maple, from the (cheap) table we were using previously. It took me way too long to make this table, so it would probably take a couple years for the chairs to be done if I were to make them. So instead we ordered chairs from a local shop, and they should be here within the next month or so.

The lines in the middle photo are due to the lighting in the room; the table does not have those marks. :-)

Thanks to everyone on the Creek that helped me throughout the process, as I had a good number of questions.

table1.jpgtable2.jpgtable3.jpg
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Splendid unique table! I like the live edge but it may lead to a few awkward moments if you sit the fattest guest there!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Beautiful table, Steve!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Splendid unique table! I like the live edge but it may lead to a few awkward moments if you sit the fattest guest there!
    Thanks!

The edge is actually smooth, so the only real problem is the fact that it curves. I sit in the curviest section (middle of left side in the right two photos), and it's fine. My wife sits across from me, so she's got a relatively straight section. My son gets to sit on the end, so it's perfectly straight.

The only other "awkward" area is that corner closest to the camera in the 3rd picture. It transitions from natural edge to straight (with a bevel), as that was where the board had to be cut by my sawyer when it came off the mill. If we have 6 people sitting at the table the person in that corner might be on the "bump", but I'll probably sit there in that situation anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Beautiful table, Steve!!!
    Thank you, sir.

I may have to come over and "fondle" that table sometime...I'm a major fan of live-edge, living here in the land of Nakashima.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I may have to come over and "fondle" that table sometime...I'm a major fan of live-edge, living here in the land of Nakashima.
    Yeah, I'll have to have you over sometime so you can check out my super tiny basement shop. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    Yeah, I'll have to have you over sometime so you can check out my super tiny basement shop. lol
    It's not the size, it's the, um...productivity...
    --