Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Customer Freeze

There are worse problems to be sure, but--

We have a houseboat that I've been in the middle of fixing since Fathers day 2015. If I had full weekends off it would be an 8 weekend job. But after 18 months I'm not even half done yet. I have an old Goldwing and an older Sportster, I haven't ridden either one in 4 years. I have 3 ATV's I haven't ridden since 2005.

All work & no play does get old!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

2. Tell them you have ordered a new Sourceforge and when it comes in you will be ready to take on more customers.
    John S.
    Nottingham UK.

Generic Chinese 500 x 300 laser with Laserworks V6.0_____ VCarve pro and Aspire._____ Techno Isel router 300 x 300
    Roland CAM 2200 drag engraver.____ Sieg KX1 CNC Mill.______ Sieg KX3 CNC Mill. _____ Plus loads of crap

Rodney!
    Great to hear from you!! I assume you've been as busy as always? Or have you finally started to gain some time for yourself?

Funny thing is I did raise my minimum to $25 over a year ago and it's surprising how few customers it scares away. I told one guy, I was too busy & he couldn't afford me. I was wrong. Turns out when a big wad of cash is thrown at you, you suddenly become available & affordable.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Hiya ART ..for the last 4-5 years I have stepped back from the business , I gave my right hand man 25% of the enterprise and he runs it ...

And thank goodness I did that .. as last year Sept , I had an open heart quad bypass and a month later a further stent..Had I been at the helm..the business would have gone south.

I now work from 9 am to 1 pm , sometimes less..the only reason I go in is for something to do ..staying at home can make you dilly...

My JAG got rear ended and written off 2 months ago.decided a car is a waste based on how much I drive so I no longer even drive ..I UBER

Im majorly involved in high end hifi .. have a dedicated room ..I spend a lot of time there doing what I like ... listening to music and fiddling with my gear.
    I had a dread disease policy that paid out big , Im waiting for my new speakers..will be installed sometime in March ... spending some of the windfall with a sting in its tail as a survival present to myself.

YOLO ..

Here is a pic of my hifi room

rodroom.jpg
    Last edited by Rodne Gold; 01-02-2017 at 9:20 PM.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Rodney

Good to see you're enjoying your hobby. I'm more impressed with the Persian rugs, of course I'm married to a Persian.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

When we get too busy, we just refer them to the other guys around the corner. That way clients get what they need and we build goodwill with our competition.
    Epilog Helix 24 - 50w
    Kern HSE 50x100 - 400w (rated at 479w!)

As a couple have mentioned, I would also like to have the 'problem' of too much business. I got a reply to a post in another laser forum today that the person ran their laser 15 hours a day, 7 days a week. I have too many days that the laser isn't even turned on. Frustrating when you've been in the same business for over 40 years (graphics in one way or another) and can't pay yourself minimum wage. And the local McD's starting wage is $8.50.

I'm sure many will assume I do crappy work but I can say that almost all my customers love the work I do. I just don't have enough customers and NO industrial/commercial ones.

So enjoy all the work you get and raise your prices so you don't get more -- and be thankful for what you have.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

I too stopped talking new orders in September and have been telling everyone I will start again in February 2017... Just a one man shop and I do Fire Department FRP Tags in a business zoned low impact so no additional employees. I am fine with that. Still working on last year's work...

I have only had one serious taker on the Feb. start up... I send a PDF Price list. Others looked elsewhere but more likely due to price. I charge more than anyone else in the business but I am OK with that. I believe I am the best with $21K worth of happy in 2016. Enough for me.

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Jeff I can't imagine theres a lot of call for laser cutting or engraving in your neck of the woods. Small towns in rural area's , with no major commercial or industrial business's close by, no big collages or lots of schools looking for awards, I can see why business would be slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Belany View Post
    As a couple have mentioned, I would also like to have the 'problem' of too much business. I got a reply to a post in another laser forum today that the person ran their laser 15 hours a day, 7 days a week. I have too many days that the laser isn't even turned on. Frustrating when you've been in the same business for over 40 years (graphics in one way or another) and can't pay yourself minimum wage. And the local McD's starting wage is $8.50.

I'm sure many will assume I do crappy work but I can say that almost all my customers love the work I do. I just don't have enough customers and NO industrial/commercial ones.

So enjoy all the work you get and raise your prices so you don't get more -- and be thankful for what you have.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander