Thread: GE Washing Machine repair

GE Washing Machine repair

GE washing machine. Top loader.

smelled a HOT smell.Sort an electrical hot smell. I lifted the lid on the machine and it was not spinning as it should have been at that point in the cycle.

I could hear the pump working but there was still about 4 inches of water in the tub. The switch on the lid is working.

So,I unplugged it and let it sit for a couple hours. Went back to see if I could diagnose anything. I plugged it back in and it finished the cycle as it should have.

Does this sound electronic to anyone or could this be a belt that got too warm to provide traction but was fine once it cooled off for a couple hours ??

I had a similar problem. Wouldn't drain the water one time, reset it and it would. Eventually wouldn't drain no matter what and I'd have soaking wet laundry. Turned out it was a failing lid switch. Replaced it and I was good to go. That's the most common cause of a machine that won't drain. You can Hotwire the lid switch to bypass it and test.

Lots of good advice and help online, google "appliance repair diy" or some such.

I highly, highly recommend:

https://www.repairclinic.com/

They have great troubleshooting guides, videos on part replacements and are very reasonable on prices. I have bought several parts from them over the years and always has great success.

Good luck

We used to have a GE top loader and I had good luck calling their 24/7 toll free number for repair advice.