Thread: Ideas please for mobile base for a lathe

Ideas please for mobile base for a lathe

I currently have my lathe mounted on a metal base which has a sawhorse design

I have a set of 4 industrial casters .Can anyone please suggest how I can attach the casters so they can be used to raise the stand to move it round the garage then lower it back onto the legs

lathe stand.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    I currently have my lathe mounted on a metal base which has a sawhorse design
    I have a set of 4 industrial casters .Can anyone please suggest how I can attach the casters so they can be used to raise the stand to move it round the garage then lower it back onto the legs
    Commercial solutions sometimes use a lever/spring/lock mechanism which would be difficult to make.

If you don't move it often, you could do like some: lift the ends and set them on those little furniture dollies (or homemade versions). Our club uses this method to move a fairly heavy Jet 1642 into place for each meeting. However, that would need more casters since each dolly needs 4.

Turner John Lucas made a couple of things, each with two casters and made so the frame at the end of the lathe will sit into a recess. He jacks up one end of the lathe (about 700 lathe) and slips this thing underneath.

At Appalachian school for craft the turning shop guy had constructed a lever with a long handle that could jack up one end of the lathe as needed.

You could probably construct something with a caster on the bottom and a socket of sorts to set the lathe stand foot into. Hard to envision the exact design without being there.

JKJ

I've got my table saw, radial arm saw and bandsaw on casters/roller stand. I press down on a cam-actuated foot and it raises the casters and allows it to roll. When I get it to the right location, I can lower it. I think that Rockler still sells them as well as others.

You can buy these roller stands/casters for around $50-65 I think. They probably list the weight rating in the advertisements. I think that they would work with something up to maybe a couple hundred pounds. I notice that you didn't mention the weight of your lathe. If you mention that, it will be helpful to give you a better answer.

I have this under my Vega

http://vegawoodworking.com/product/machine-mover/

You could diy something similar quite easily, still using your sawhorses.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Look at Carl Holmgren videos on Youtube, if you already have the casters the rest of materials you would probably have in scrap wood. Might need to buy a couple hinges though

I would add a 24-30" 2x4 under each end of your sawhorse and bolt the casters underneath. You can increase the length of the 2x4s to increase stability without sacrificing your foot space. Use the existing bottom bolt holes to attach the 2x4s to the legs. You might need to cut the legs shorter depending on the height of your casters.

Steve

here is a link to a moblie base for lathes i built one just like this for my grizzly G0766 and it works great to move my lathe around.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...obility-System

I'm hoping that the original poster comes back and lets us know how heavy of a lathe he/she has. The solution is dependent on the weight of the lathe....

Please accept my apologies for the delay in replying
    Firstly a big thank you for the ideas and links

The lathe is a mini lathe weighing 100 lbs

At present I am leaning towards the image below

Please see link

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...385be9b002.jpg

Here's what I did for my Jet 1642. It allows ease of mobility and quick ability to set it back onto the lathe feet for stability.

Lathe casters.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    Here's what I did for my Jet 1642. It allows ease of mobility and quick ability to set it back onto the lathe feet for stability.

Lathe casters.jpg
    would it be possible for you to send or provide link to the plans.? thank you!

Not what you are asking for, but this idea is pure genius. http://www.ttit.id.au/gadgets/gadgets.htm#Lifter2

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bunce View Post
    I really like that. That may be the way I go to add mobility to my future 18-36 or 24-36. I wonder if 4 pneumatic cylinders could be used to lift the lathe while it was moved.