Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We had some unexpected visitors this morning

We had some unexpected visitors this morning

And given that today is "Turkey Day" I thought this appropriate. And no, they're not on the menu.

turkeys1.jpg turkeys1a.jpg turkeys2.jpg

Those are some brave birds they must not know what day it is
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by John A langley View Post
    ... they must not know what day it is
    Maybe they sense this is a safe place!

Talk about fresh turkey.....

The arrogant rascals are taunting you!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Maybe they sense this is a safe place!

That might be it. Maybe they noticed the game trail from our deck with its bird seed and dry cat food to the brush in the back. Some species seem to adjust to suburbia just fine.

They really have had to adapt in our area (and most areas) to development that's interrupted their traditional trails and local seasonal migratory routes, Curt. Population is up (just like with deer) and a lot of their previous feeding territory has been disrupted. Acorns are a big normal food source for turkeys and when houses go up...trees come down. So they have to adapt accordingly. We've noticed changes here on our property with the flock movement since a larger Toll Bros development was completed over off Upper Mountain Road. We used to regularly get larger flocks...20-30 birds...and now it's usually smaller gatherings most of the time. One year, there was a group of five young males that used to stand outside my shop windows begging for corn.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The deer in Vermont have suffered greatly because of the introduced turkey population.

Blog Entries
    Many moons ago, when I lived in the heartland, I bow-hunted for wild turkey. They were very uncommon and very wary. back then. I never heard of the wild turkey going around people for any reason. Is there a food shortage?
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    Many moons ago, when I lived in the heartland, I bow-hunted for wild turkey. They were very uncommon and very wary. back then. I never heard of the wild turkey going around people for any reason. Is there a food shortage?
    Flock size is up and "wild land" is down, so like other creatures, they get used to people and take advantage of food supply wherever they can find it. They do eat some things, like other fowl, that can be appreciated, including insects like ticks. Wild turkeys nearly went extinct awhile back, but have regenerated impressively to the point they are abundant.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I hate having these guys around! They are not native to this area of Northern Minnesota, and have only been around for the past maybe 10 years or so. They are like a bad neighborhood gang. I've seen flocks of over a dozen at a time in my yard and on my deck and house. They land on my roof and peck/pull at the shingle tabs, they land on my deck and crap all over it, the grill, the patio furniture, etc. One even landed on my heated bird bath and bent the wrought iron bracket. And this is what I have came home from work to on several occasions. It seems the toms get pretty ticked off at the competition in the reflected glass of the patio doors.

Turkey3.jpgTurkey5.jpgTurkey1.jpg

Blog Entries
    This shows what happens when the predator and prey get out of balance. Couple that with habitat loss and it is exacerbated.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I have also noticed a drastic drop in the number of Ruffed Grouse (which are native to this area) around my place since these guys have taken over.

Not much for habitat loss here. As far as predators go, we have a healthy population of those too. Coyotes, fox, Timber wolves, bears, skunks, etc.

This was this morning in our little Twin Cities suburb. My wife took the picture from her car. She had to wait for the turkey's to cross the road!
    turkey.jpg