Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just How Is This Saw Used?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Endres View Post
    I think the OP's point is that the table has NO fence. You can't use a RAS without one.
    We have a winner!

Seemed rather obvious- thus the 'off topic' banter.

There seems to be a lot of hostility to radial saws, often from people who know nothing about using them. There are no safe machines -- only cautious operators.

I use my DeWalt RAS for all kinds of cuts, and I'm not worried about using it. One key is to keep it aligned, especially so that the plane of the blade is parallel to the line of cut. Another key is to use a blade that is suitable, one with a near-zero or negative hook -- a thin-kerf sliding miter saw blade is a good first choice, NEVER use a table saw blade- the teeth are too aggressive and has a tendency to self-feed.

Your saw needs a sacrificial table placed upon what you already have. Try using MDF, using pieces of various widths 11, 6, 3 inches. Bolt the 11 inch board down at the front, and then place the others down. Set the fence, and then use parallel folding wedges as clamps on the back edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blarneystone View Post
    .... often from people who know nothing about using them.
    Most people who have successfully used RAS know that the things you said about safe and proper use are true. Nothing you said is particularly new or revealing. I'd be willing to bet that myself and several others here are as proficient with that machine as it sounds like you are. So please lay off with the "know nothing" routine. The point of this thread, is that this particular RAS gives the appearance of NOT being used safely.

John M: I think it would be interesting to email the guy selling it to ask whether he's even used it - and what for - since he got the new tabletop (it's unmarked - looks unused to me too).

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 10-31-2016 at 10:00 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

That one caught my eye. Most have a scrap of plywood or particle board as a table. The way the table on this one extends past the column shows he took some time trying to make the saw look good. Still, there is no way to safely use the saw!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hoyt View Post
    Very carefully!

or better yet, never
    My sentiments exactly...especially never!
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

I have a Craftsman RAS in good shape that a creeker close enough can have for free if close enough to come after it. I bought it new over 40 years ago and used it a lot but don't have room for it now. It is on a sturdy wood stand with a shelf and drawer.

I always tacked a sacrificial layer of 1/4" plywood to the top to prevent cutting into the table.

JKJ

It appears that most comments here are from people who have limited or no experience with them. First I would suggest that there are no safe machines - only cautious operators. Get past the blather, and learn how to use it competently.

I've used an RAS for 30 years, and have been using my DeWalt RAS daily for months for ripping, bevel ripping, crosscuts, bevel crosscutting, miters, and beveled miters, and dados. There are a number of things that are good practices, and here's the first two:

1) Keep the saw aligned, especially keep the plane of the blade perfectly parallel to the path of cut.

2) >NEVER< use a table saw blade -- the tooth configuration is far too aggressive and the blade will self-feed. Choose a blade with a hook angle somewhere between +5d to -5d. A reasonable choice might be blade for a sliding miter saw, such as Freud thin-kerf blades.

There is a book by the late Wally Kunkel aka "Mr. Sawdust" which is fairly comprehensive. http://www.mrsawdust.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blarneystone View Post
    It appears that most comments here are from people who have limited or no experience with them.
    You don't "get" it. It is a discussion about some odd pictures with a saw that has had the table replaced with no regard to a fence.

The majority of people here have been around the block more than once, some still have them, others have decided other tools function better in their place for the person's work flow. For me a CSMS, along with a Festool MFT/tracksaw/router now do the functions of a RAS in my shop.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

OUCH! I remember those my best friends Dad had one back in the 70`s. Very dangerous if you weren`t completely focused and alone! Great weight for something.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    You don't "get" it. It is a discussion about some odd pictures with a saw that has had the table replaced with no regard to a fence.

The majority of people here have been around the block more than once, some still have them, others have decided other tools function better in their place for the person's work flow.
    Van said it very well. There's nothing wrong with a well tuned and safely operated RAS. My personal needs/wants shifted to other tools. That doesn't mean that RAS isn't still a useful or valuable component in someone else's shop. To each his own.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

While that saw has a very nice table, there is nothing odd about it. Here are a few more currently listed. Little wonder these saws are considered dangerous.

I really liked my Delta turret RAS, but needed the space more than the saw, so I recently sold it.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

And I thought mine was the only one that came that way! Just picked this one up last week.

IMG_1087.jpg

This thread is still active? I know it's a little slow around here but come on guys.

(Yes I do understand I am adding to it.)

I'm beginning to understand what to look for if I want a radial arm saw cheap: a seller with bandages and bruises and no fence on the table.