Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What size plane for a 7 yr old?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hotard View Post
    Ya'll sound like super-fun dads.....nothing like belaboring someone for wanting to spend time with his kids because they "might get hurt" or "might cost you some money." The cost of a plane and time spent with children teaching them the correct and safe way to handle tools is a valuable life lesson, and much much cheaper than a video game console most kids their age are glued to these days.

I say let the kid work and treasure the time you have to spend with your kids!!!

And thank you for your service!!
    Thank you Pete for putting the proper perspective on this thread. I agree with you 100%.

BTW- I would do the Veritas with tote.

Regards and happy parenting - Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    As for putting an expensive plane in the hands of a kid. Rubbish! It's so hard to make a 'crappy' plane work well; that's why most (I suspect) adults don't get over the hump of using hand tools. Put a good one in their hands young so they know what a good one feels like. Put some padding on the floor to protect against drops.
    Your comment appears to be predicated upon a false dichotomy. You can get a plane that works very well pretty cheaply, so there's a huge and very workable middle ground between "crappy" and "here kid, take my LV/LN/Holtey and do your worst". Think if it as an exercise in the 80-20 rule.

Also padding the floor isn't sufficient. Lack of strength leads to lack of control, for example when ending a cut, and tools consequently get banged around a bit when kids use them.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 10-28-2016 at 12:30 PM.

"and tools consequently get banged around a bit when kids use them."

My kid has banged my tools around in what I bet is a quite average way. He's not the most dexterous kid. My planes have endured his knocking around just find. When I say planes, I'm talking about my LV small bevel up smoother and block plane. That's about all he can wield at this point.

There is no false dichotomy. If I take a cheap plane and put some blood, sweat and tears into it to get it working as well and reliably as an LN or Veritas, then it's as valuable as those "premium users" in my arsenal. Now, I don't own any Hotley's, and I agree I'm not giving the keys to that kind of plane to anyone. But the value of the rest is high not because of the nominal $$ I paid, but because of how well they work.

You may have had an easier time learning, but setting up and using planes has been extremely challenging (but ultimately rewarding) for me. I put in a lot of $$ and time to gain some level of appreciation and proficiency (I use that word loosely) So, if I can help my son up the curve and get him to "a-ha" as young as possible, I'm happy to do it, even if that means he dings my LN#4 in the process.

I don't let him sharpen yet, though...

"and tools consequently get banged around a bit when kids use them."

My kid has banged my tools around in what I bet is a quite average way. He's not the most dexterous kid. My planes have endured his knocking around just find. When I say planes, I'm talking about my LV small bevel up smoother and block plane. That's about all he can wield at this point.

There is no false dichotomy. If I take a cheap plane and put some blood, sweat and tears into it to get it working as well and reliably as an LN or Veritas, then it's as valuable as those "premium users" in my arsenal.

The difference is that a used but perfectly functional plane will be banged up to start with, so your kid's depredations won't do much of anything to its resale value. Not so for LN or Veritas.

Also if you truly value planes only based on their functionality then you probably shouldn't be messing with the new stuff at all in many cases (there are exceptions, for example the 62, 51, and 10-1/4). Even if your time is worth a lot of money you can pay somebody to recondition the old plane and still be ahead in the deal.

Now, I don't own any Hotley's, and I agree I'm not giving the keys to that kind of plane to anyone. But the value of the rest is high not because of the nominal $$ I paid, but because of how well they work.

I would argue that resale should be included in your notion of value, but I basically understand where you're coming from. I don't have any Holteys either, I just chose that as an outrageous example to illustrate my point.

I let my son use some of my less expensive Veritas stuff, though for the most part he gets to play with Quansheng or used (planes), Narex (chisels), the relatively cheap LV augers, impulse-hardened dispose-a-saws, etc.

I also don't allow sharpening yet.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 10-28-2016 at 1:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    I would most likely tell him to get out the workshop, its far too dangerous for some one so young. They have the attention span of a gnat most times. I would wait until he/she is around 12 yrs old. With parenthood comes responsibility.

Stewie;
    Every parent/woodworker can decide when or if they would allow their children -- at whatever age -- to be in the shop. My kids are grown-ups, but if they expressed interest in woodworking at 6 or 7, I would play with them, handling a tool or two just for fun. But, I wouldn't let them work in my shop with a tool or keep a dedicated tool.

While I understand many woodworkers would love to share their passion with their kids for bonding or whatever, my shop is full of power tools and I'd prefer to keep anyone that young from hanging around. No families -- woodworking or not -- are the same.

Simon

On one hand, we want our kids to be safe; on the other we lament that too few people make things with their hands anymore. My son followed me like the kid in Harry Chapin's "Cat's in the Cradle" when he was 5-6 and thank goodness I let him in the shop. But now, at the still-young age of 11, he has too many activities and other interests to make it down to the shop often. He gets down to the shop during his down time or weekends. I suspect had the seeds not been sown young, his roots wouldn't have ever been established.

But I agree, Simon, that every parent decides best for their family.

On one hand, we want our kids to be safe; on the other we lament that too few people make things with their hands anymore. My son followed me like the kid in Harry Chapin's "Cat's in the Cradle" when he was 5-6 and thank goodness I let him in the shop. But now, at the still-young age of 11, he has too many activities and other interests to make it down to the shop often. He gets down to the shop during his down time or weekends. I suspect had the seeds not been sown young, his roots wouldn't have ever been established.

But I agree, Simon, that every parent decides best for their family.
    Growing up we had a "workroom" in our home with numerous hand tools. I was not only allowed to use the tools but encouraged to. I started building and selling skim boards when I was 9 or 10. I made my first carved tray in the 5th grade.

My son was 3 when I started working on the Barn renovation/rescue (our home, shop and studio space). By the time he turned 4 he would sit on the floor and spend hours nailing off the plywood sheathing with ring shank nails using my 16 oz finish hammer, kid had great eye/hand coordination (All State 3rd baseman with a full ride to college). He progressed into the shop and "finer" woodworking tools around 7 or 8. Handcut dovetails at 11. He now makes a good living in construction in Hawaii and has a shop of his own, the majority of his hand tools apparently have relocated to the nicer climate from my shop, with my blessing, . He has always loved working with his hands building "stuff" and I am very glad we did everything we could to support his interests.

His sister had no interest in tools but would draw on anything that didn't run away. She was welcome to use my drafting table and our art supplies. I am an Architect and her mom a fine artist. My daughter is now considered to be one of the top tattoo artists in the country as well as an accomplished painter.

I stand strongly behind the concept of 'support your children's interests and give them what guidance you can'.

I'm going to throw out a suggestion for a 5 1/4 junior jack to go with the block plane or little smoother. Edge planing is fun. I think the Sears Handyman planes are a little lighter than the Stanleys.

Quote Originally Posted by James W Glenn View Post
    I'm going to throw out a suggestion for a 5 1/4 junior jack to go with the block plane or little smoother. Edge planing is fun. I think the Sears Handyman planes are a little lighter than the Stanleys.
    A lot depends on the specific kid, but I suspect that's going to be on the big side for a 7 y/o. The 5-1/4 is basically a lengthened #3, and uses the same 1-3/4" blade.

I think a #1 or #2 is the best option. A plain block plane is unsuitable in my opinion because there aren't any handles, they are usually gripped with one hand about the sides, which requires adult sized hands and grip strength. The Veritas low-angle block plane with the bolt on totes would be great, but it's the most expensive option.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Goodwin View Post
    I think a #1 or #2 is the best option. A plain block plane is unsuitable in my opinion because there aren't any handles, they are usually gripped with one hand about the sides, which requires adult sized hands and grip strength. The Veritas low-angle block plane with the bolt on totes would be great, but it's the most expensive option.
    A Quangsheng (WR) #1 works well for my 6 y/o. He started with it when he was 5, and he still prefers it to both the larger bench planes and the low-angle block with the small tote.

I also have an L-N #2 that I use for local smoothing and small work, and while it's a much nicer plane (esp considering that the Quangsheng #1 has no lateral adjuster) he finds it a bit too big.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 10-28-2016 at 9:39 PM.

My 6yr old loves working in the shop with me. I gave him a spokeshave, some chisels, a saw, egg beater drill, and block plane.

He loves the block plane, but asks for something bigger. I took him to our local LN event and let him use some tools. He took to the #1 smoother quite well. I am keeping my eye out for and old one to fix up for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kasier View Post
    My 6yr old loves working in the shop with me. I gave him a spokeshave, some chisels, a saw, egg beater drill, and block plane.

He loves the block plane, but asks for something bigger. I took him to our local LN event and let him use some tools. He took to the #1 smoother quite well. I am keeping my eye out for and old one to fix up for him.
    Thats pretty neat Joe. I suspect you'll have a tough time finding even a beat up Stanley #1 for less than what a new #1 will cost you ($120 @ woodcraft unless you catch a sale). Would be a great stocking stuffer for Christmas!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I would usually agree with the idea that a nice older plane would be a good idea, as my experience has been that it's not hard to find a $20-$30 #3 or #4 that works well after an hour of tuning -- and I like doing it. However, as a plane for a 6 year old there's a good reason to consider a #3 sized Veritas, Lie-Nielsen, or if you want an old plane, perhaps a V&B or wooden coffin smoother. These are planes that, in contrast to an old Stanley, can be dropped onto a concrete floor and won't break in two. A scratch in the body and a nick in the blade are better than a demotion to parts.

A #3 sized plane is not much bigger than some of the other suggestions, but will remain useful for a lifetime. With regard to metal vs wooden planes: his should adjust the same way as yours.

If you decide on a #1 or #2 sized plane, a new one is likely cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schwabacher View Post
    I would usually agree with the idea that a nice older plane would be a good idea, as my experience has been that it's not hard to find a $20-$30 #3 or #4 that works well after an hour of tuning -- and I like doing it. However, as a plane for a 6 year old there's a good reason to consider a #3 sized Veritas, Lie-Nielsen, or if you want an old plane, perhaps a V&B or wooden coffin smoother. These are planes that, in contrast to an old Stanley, can be dropped onto a concrete floor and won't break in two. A scratch in the body and a nick in the blade are better than a demotion to parts.

A #3 sized plane is not much bigger than some of the other suggestions, but will remain useful for a lifetime. With regard to metal vs wooden planes: his should adjust the same way as yours.

If you decide on a #1 or #2 sized plane, a new one is likely cheaper.

I really don't care if it is used or new. I was just hoping to pick one up for under $100